Wing night finds popularity with SHS students

David Kalk

Bufalo Wild Wings hosts Wing Night every Thursday.

David Kalk, J1 Student

The Buffalo Wild Wings location in Aurora is packed with high school students from Solon, Aurora and other nearby cities. In fact, the dining room is overflowing with high school students, but it’s not the usual Friday or Saturday night crowd. It’s Thursday night.

“Wing Night,” is the popular promotion at Buffalo Wild Wings that features discount boneless wings every Thursday.

“Every Thursday, [my co-workers] knew that at some point we were going to get a lot of people, mostly high schoolers, coming in to get the special price,” said Sydnie Singleton, a former employee that still goes to Buffalo Wild Wings frequently.

Every Thursday Buffalo Wild Wings, commonlyreferred to as “B-Dubs” and “BW3,” offers its boneless wings for $0.65 each.

“As a worker there and a customer, I have seen both sides of what it looks like when there is a good deal going on,” Singleton said. “There was never going to be a slow night on Boneless Wing Night. But I understand why, and it is the same reason why I still go with my friends even though I don’t work there anymore.”

The restaurant provides a good venue for high schoolers looking for a place to interact socially without breaking the bank.

“Wing Night is a great way to get food for a cheap price and hang out with friends,” said SHS senior Nick Chiodo, a weekly participant of Wing Night. “My friends and I look forward to every Thursday night, as it’s a chance for us to go out and get dinner without spending lots of money.”

Chiodo is an example of one of the many different kinds of people that go to Buffalo Wild Wings for such a unique experience.

“It’s a bonus when there’s a really good game on, whether it’s the Cavs or Indians,” Chiodo said. “To combine a good deal on good food with the crowd that comes for a game makes an amazing atmosphere, better than you will get anywhere else on a Thursday night.”

Junior Will Schneider, among other frequent customers, thinks those prices are a steal.

“I don’t know how they make any money off of us,” Schneider said. “A lot of us go and get only wings so we end up spending far less money than we normally would.”

Buffalo Wild Wings is one of the top distributors in the world of both chicken wings and beer. The money that is lost from the deal for boneless wings is typically made up in alcohol sales.

When it’s Thursday night, savings can be found with ease. You can order the snack sized meal (six boneless wings) for just $3.90, a small (12 wings) for $7.80 and a medium (18 wings) for only $11.70. Those same orders sell for $8.49, $10.49 and $15.29 respectively, all other days.

Those low prices are enough to motivate any high schooler with a limited budget to seek out Buffalo Wild Wings for a Thursday night dinner.

Several of Solon’s athletic teams, clubs and even common friend groups have been known to turn out in big numbers after a practice or event. Chiodo stated that he goes with people from his baseball team.

“If we have practice on a Thursday, the topic of Wing Night almost always comes up,” Chiodo said. “Once someone brings that up, it’s almost certain that a group of us will be attending.”

But even despite the good prices, some people just love wings, especially wings from Buffalo Wild Wings, and are looking for an excuse to go.

“I love the different sauces and flavor options available at Buffalo Wild Wings,” Schneider said. “I can mix it up every week and get something different, so I’ll never be bored! That’s before even getting into the different options for sides.”

It seems as though the only thing stopping more Solon residents from going to Wing Night is that the restaurant is located in neighboring Bainbridge, rather than their hometown. But since that isn’t stopping many high schoolers from going, Wing Night will likely remain a popular destination for the Thursday night crowd.

“Buffalo Wild Wings wing night is essential to a complete week for me,” Chiodo said. “The combination of good food with the cheap pricing makes it a great place to go. Even if I don’t have a group of friends to go with one particular Thursday, I can still get that deal for takeout so I never have to miss out. Because of the large variety of options, I’ll never get bored of going.”