A preview of the 2017 commencement speeches

Solon Schools on Facebook

Walking at graduation is the finish line for students’ high school careers.

Vinay Bodapati

Graduation. For many, it’s the culmination of thousands of hours spent cramming over books to receive strong grades. For others, it marks a transition to adulthood and new responsibilities. For two select SHS students, however, graduation presents the opportunity to address the entire senior class with a speech marking the end of their time at SHS.   

This year, after a hard-fought tryout, seniors Caroline Kish and Vishal Sundaram are the Class of 2017’s commencement speakers.

SHS Social Studies teacher Jane Langston, who helps coordinate the tryout each year, explained that the process is open to all, as any SHS senior can apply regardless of GPA or class rank.

She continued, “Each candidate is judged on the following criteria: appropriateness of topic, creativity/originality, quality of writing, rate of speaking, volume, eye contact, clarity and overall poise. Each criteria is worth 10 points. The candidates with the two highest scores are chosen as the speakers.”

Langston added that the responsibility associated with the speech can be quite intimidating: “I am always impressed with each individual’s poise—delivering a speech in front of hundreds of people is daunting!  Watching them deliver their message calmly and smoothly is always impressive.”

However, this year’s speakers are quite aware of what they signed up for.

Kish, who will be speaking first at the ceremony, explained that she had been wanting to deliver her class’s commencement speech since 2012, when her sister graduated from high school. That said, she certainly wasn’t without nerves going into the tryout.

“[Each person trying out] went in one at a time to give their speech in front of English teachers and administrators. I went first, so I had no idea what I was going into; I was a bit nervous going in, but once I began to speak, everything faded away.”

Sundaram is equally aware of the gravity of the speech.

He stated, “Having attended commencement twice as a member of the orchestra, I have witnessed the important role that the commencement speakers play in setting the tone for the event. I genuinely wanted this opportunity because I thought I had some powerful messages to convey, and it is an incredible honor to be given the opportunity to provide closure for this journey and hope for the next.”

Interestingly enough, 2017 marks the fourth consecutive year that both commencement speakers are members of Solon High School’s Speech and Debate Team. Both Kish and Sundaram attribute much of their success in the tryout to their experiences in Speech.

Kish said, “Speech and Debate definitely helped me in becoming commencement speaker; my public speaking skills have been refined through Speech, and I probably wouldn’t  have had the courage to speak in front of Mrs. Short and Mrs. Kosiorek if I weren’t in it.”

Sundaram added that his Speech and Debate event, Extemporaneous Speaking, was particularly helpful for this speech.

“As an extemporaneous speaker, I have been trained in the practice of writing and presenting my own speeches, so the skill was very transitive to commencement tryouts. My hours of preparing and competing have definitely helped and I would like to give a shoutout to Coach Ceci for playing a role in all of this! ”

With some concluding advice for those in the Class of 2018 interested in trying out for commencement, Sundaram explained the importance of his extensive preparation for the tryout.

He said, “If I have any single recommendation, it is to be practiced and prepared. While you will have a hard copy of your speech, it is best to refer to it as little as possible so that you can maintain eye contact and connect with your audience. It is also a good idea to start writing your speech well in advance of the tryout because considerable thought should be put into structure and language to make your message as powerful as possible.”

Both speakers are immensely excited to deliver their remarks at the Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony at the State Theater at Playhouse Square on May 25.