Seal of Biliteracy could mean big things for SHS

Jake Novack

Students in one of Creamer’s classes practicing their speaking skills

Jake Novack

This past February, Ohio Gov. John Kasich signed House Bill No. 487 into law, which required the Ohio Board of Education to establish the State Seal of Biliteracy. According to Solon High School Spanish teacher Melissa Creamer, the seal can be attached to the high school transcripts or diplomas of students who show a proficiency in two or more languages. This proficiency could be determined by a test, such as an end-of-year AP exam. Currently, over 20 states across the country have approved a State Seal of Biliteracy, with even more having their version of the Seal currently under consideration. But what will the Seal of Biliteracy mean for students at SHS?

In an article for The Cardinal, the newsletter of the Ohio Foreign Language Association, Ohio Department of Education World Language Consultants Ryan Wertz, Kathy Shelton and Paula Sondej explained what the Seal can do for high school students.

“In terms of why the bestowment of this award would be good for Ohio language learners, the thinking is that high school-aged students who attain levels of proficiency in English and at least one foreign language… deserve to be recognized and recruited based on their demonstrated abilities,” Wertz, Shelton and Sondej said. “As the accolade becomes better known, the likelihood of post-secondary institutions using the attainment of the Seal during considerations for admission, scholarship and course placement is apt to occur as has happened in other states where a Seal of Biliteracy is already in place.”

Besides being a resume booster for college applications, the Seal of Biliteracy could also help foreign language learners beyond an educational standpoint. According to Wertz, Shelton and Sondej, the Seal of Biliteracy could help students gain an advantage in the search for jobs.

“Ohio is home to a multitude of international employers, many of whom constantly seek employees who demonstrate high levels of linguistic and cultural competency,” they said. “In time, they will come to understand that Ohio’s Seal of Biliteracy will serve as a strong indicator of readiness for positions requiring language and intercultural abilities beyond those possessed by the typical pool of candidates.”

Even without the prospect of an award such as the Seal of Biliteracy, foreign language classes still are beneficial for SHS students. Senior Micha Nouafo, an AP French student, explained how aptitude for multiple languages helps high school students.

“Being able to speak another language definitely gives you an edge,” Nouafo said. “When looking for a job or any kind of competitive position in the real world, speaking more than one language gives you a little more opportunity.”

Nouafo also said that the prospect of a Seal of Biliteracy would push SHS students to do their best.

“I think that any kind of award or honor helps encourage students to do well,” Nouafo said. “The Seal of Biliteracy is nice recognition for students that have an extra skill.”

The success of the Seal in Ohio also shows just how high the state values a bilingual education. Creamer said she believes that students deserve to be commended for pursuing a bilingual education.

“Students should be recognized for their continued study of a second language and should be awarded for their efforts,” Creamer said. “We can also recognize the heritage languages that make our community and school diverse.”

The passage of the Seal of Biliteracy in Ohio can also be attributed to a growing number of states across the country that have accepted the Seal as a part of their state curriculum. Creamer said that she believes an increase in global communication is helping schools across the country to value education in multiple languages.

“I think that former Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said it best when he said Americans have been relying too long on other countries to speak our language, and that we won’t be able to do that for much longer because we live in an increasingly complex and interconnected world.”