Solon Speech and Debate looking forward to tryouts, new season

Courtesy of Vinay Bodapati

(From left) Speech and Debate president Vinay Bodapati, public relations officer Anamika Gautam, secretary Rachel Rothschild, and vice president Adesh Labhasetwar. The Speech and Debate team is preparing for a state championship run.

Jake Novack

After a season in which they finished second overall in the state of Ohio, the Solon High School Speech and Debate team is hosting tryouts for new and returning members on May 22-23, and 25 followed by an alternative set of tryout dates during the beginning of the next school year.

Following a highly successful season, the Speech and Debate team is not resting on their laurels. Rather, the team is preparing for success next season. Junior Anamika Gautam, the public relations officer for SHS Speech and Debate, said she is looking forward to the new experiences she will gain in the coming season.

“I’m super excited for next year because for all three years that I’ve been in Speech and Debate, I’ve competed in the same event, but [in 2017] I’m trying a new event,” Gautam said. “I’m also pumped for our team to do as well as possible so that we can be state champs, because we’ve been second in the state for two years in a row.”

Although the returning members of the Speech and Debate team are focused on a state championship, the team’s tryouts will give new students a chance to find their place on the Speech and Debate roster. Junior Adesh Labhasetwar, vice president of SHS Speech and Debate, explained that Speech and Debate is a very rewarding experience for students with a strong work ethic.

“In all honesty, Speech and Debate is not for everyone,” Labhasetwar said. “It requires effort and motivation to stay awake a little later than normal to research and find new evidence for your case, or to edit a script to add a new portion to your speech. But the payoff is definitely worth it.”

Labhasetwar attributed his enjoyment of Speech and Debate primarily to his friends on the team and the joy he receives after a job well done.

“Being on a bus every Saturday morning with sleepy, yet anxious students who quickly become people I can confidently call friends and the pleasure of knowing your hard work paid off are only a few of the reasons why several team members, as well as myself, stay on the team. And even if you don’t receive an accolade, the skills you pick up while being on the team and the dedication to keep improving your cases or materials drive students to keep coming back.”

Furthermore, Speech and Debate can cater to a wide variety of students with many interests. Junior Speech and Debate secretary Rachel Rothschild commented on the large breadth of subject areas which the Speech and Debate team delves into during their season.

“This club is so unique, and it truly is so much different than many people think,” Rothschild said. “S&D is not just sitting in a room debating about policies and government, although we offer that if you like. There is a diverse array of events, varying from public speaking events like Original Oratory to acting events like Dramatic Interpretation. We are very big on saying ‘there is something for everyone’.  And I truly believe that.”