Art | Ally Benjamin

Dissecting the love of reading

March 1, 2016

Year after year, teachers build up students’ skill and ability levels for reading; however, the love for reading amongst teens has gone downhill over the years and many question why.

Studies from The Pew Research Center have shown that children are not born with a natural aversion to reading, so the dread many teens have for reading has to come from the later years in their academic lives, when reading must constantly tie into learning. As students, and most importantly readers, we wonder why does it seem like reading always has to tie into an academic lesson? The process of dissecting reading books in school and applying the information from books to learning affects the natural love for reading , and not always in a positive light.

The Pew Research Center reported that the number of non-book readers amongst the teenage age group, has nearly tripled since 1978. In high school, we mostly don’t receive the opportunity to read books for fun, or simply just because. Within these four years of high school, at first I believed that teachers always decide our options of reading because of what we are doing in class; however, I have learned that just as I thought they weren’t giving us much of an option, they aren’t honestly given a wide variety, or a diverse list to choose from either.

Our reading in classes and the teachers’ choice of books are chosen from a suggested list they receive, and from that list, teachers attempt to do their best to select the books they think students would find most interesting, or relatable and understanding to their lives. Sometimes, teachers even try to choose books from their recommended list of reading, to relate to topics learned or discussed in class lessons to attempt for us to get a better understanding of the concepts, and because of this relation to subjects in class, students’ want for reading can decrease.

“Mostly, we as teachers receive recommended and suggested lists for reading books everyone in that grade should read, and as teachers we have a choice on whether or not to choose it,” said English teacher Kelly Fishman. “We aren’t always given a nice option or a nice choice of different books with different material, and some books we give to students yearly, and give the same lessons on it, Personally, if a book can tie into something the class is reading, and can tie into other lessons in life, or be a book that many can relate to, why not choose it?”

Of course the intention on having students read certain books, and increase students’ stamina for reading is meant to be beneficial; however, many students care less for reading because there is a quick association that after reading a book, a test that determines your grade will follow. This is most likely thought of because of the constant highlighting, quizzes and group projects we must do after reading a book.

“Looking too deeply into a book can ruin the meaning of the words, just like saying a word over and over does, trying to dissect it can tear it apart,” senior Justina Butkovic said. “Thus, the love for the book loses its once-powerful impact after being worn out.”

Many authors write their books for die-hard book lovers who are willing to dive into their world of reading, not readers who are forced to pick up their books because their grades will be impacted.

It is also difficult for students to read a book they don’t find interesting. Reading should be encouraged, but it doesn’t make it easy for the readers if they are struggling to keep their eyes open while staying tuned in to the book. Students have a better chance of acquiring the desire to read when it interests them so much that they can’t put the book down. The powerful trick is to find a book that can have students forget they are even reading in general. That is why teachers list and recommended choices should be a wider variety, or maybe consist of books because of the genre of them, giving everyone more books to choose from.

“There are some aspects of dissecting a book that can be very tedious and cause a person to resent reading in general,” senior Sierra Smith said. “There are some people who do enjoy reading on a basic level and don’t necessarily want to look for some deeper meaning in a book. Dissecting every book they read would definitely push them away from reading often.”

Just as to any controversial topic, there are pros and cons of the issue. On the bright side, dissecting books does turn students into becoming better readers and helps many students become more attentive to all forms of writing, but do the pros really outweigh the cons? Luckily, there are still many ways schools can encourage students to stay on the right path of reading and the fix the downhill trend of the love for reading.

“The interest for reading slowly fades when we are told what exactly to read,” senior Alyssa Gray said. “However, when there’s a choice to read the book we want, it gives an amazing opportunity for students to fall in love again with the idea of reading. For instance, I was recently able to read a book for fun in Mrs. Wein’s class, Me Before You, and I loved it; however, I know if I had to read that book for a grade or dissect it, I would not have enjoyed reading it and I doubt I would have been so in touch with the book or characters.”

Getting students’ love for reading back on track can be a simple fix. Students having the ability to read their choice of literature in classrooms and/or teachers should be given a wider variety of books to choose from. Everyone’s happy. This can begin to refresh the love of reading for many once again.  Dissecting books is okay at times, and very helpful towards students’ and their skill and ability of reading; but not to the extent where it takes the joy away from students reading. In the end, keeping students on track and in love with diving into books can only benefit us.

The SHS Courier • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in