SCA paves way to high school theater

Courtesy of Rachel Verbiar

Julia Rose (left), and Rachel Verbiar (center) in SCA’s fall 2016 production of “Singing in the Rain.”

Meredith Maiorana, Editor-in-Chief

In a Courier survey of 54 Solon High School Drama Club members, over 55% of members participated in at least one Solon Center for the Arts Youth Theater production before joining SHS Drama Club. Of the 55% of students that have participated in an SCA show, 56% have been in more that 10 SCA productions. What makes SCA such a popular preparatory program for high school drama clubs?

Christine Madden, the Theater Department Coordinator at SCA, said she believes that it is the environment SCA tries to create that makes the program so popular.

“We always try to make the process like one that they will experience at [SHS] and beyond,” Madden said. “It’s on a smaller level, but that’s what we try to do. I always try to make the audition process what [Kris Ferencie, SHS Drama Club Advisor,] would require, or a professional theater would require. We try to make that process preoperatory for those things. Same with expectations for rehearsal attendance, and when you’re off book, we try to make exactly the same as the high school and beyond.”

The SCA Youth Theater program has expanded this school year to include students in grades 2-8 in three major performance groups. The Peewee Playbuilders (grades 2-3), Stories on Stage (grades 4-5), and Spotlight Youth Theater (grades 6-8). Madden explained that the restructuring was to include more students in SCA’s yearly productions. Spotlight and Stories on Stage produce one musical per year and two straight plays, while Peewee Playbuilders offers three straight play options for students.  

“We were constantly inundated with kids in [Spotlight and Stories on Stage,]” Madden said. “Now we split it up into three, and extended the age groups within those three. There’s less kids competing for spots, and we haven’t had to cut anybody, which is always our goal. We also have lots of classes and camps that go along supporting those major productions.”

Solon Middle School eighth grader Rachel Verbiar has been participating in SCA Youth Theater for six years, and is preparing to finish her last year as a student this spring. Verbiar has played roles such as Donkey in “Shrek Jr” and Mulan in “Mulan Jr” through the SCA Theater program. Verbiar plans to join SHS Drama Club when she begins her freshman year next fall.

“It’s been my dream for a long time,” she said. “I’ve always been in love with performing, and SHS Drama Club shows are an amazing thing I want to be part of.”

(from left) Rachel Verbiar, Jina Butkovic and Kylie Kurzawa in the SCA winter 2016 production of “Alice in Wonderland.”

Verbiar also said she believes that SCA has prepared her for both the performing and social aspects of SHS.

“SCA has prepared me in many ways for SHS Drama Club,” Verbiar said. “Everything I learned [about] acting and singing is from my amazing directors at SCA. It has also given me the opportunity to make friends in grades above me, so I know I won’t feel completely terrified my freshman year.”

Julia Rose, also an eighth grader at SMS, and six-year SCA theater student, elaborated that her teachers at SCA taught her the important basics of acting, that can be improved on when she’s older.

“I think SCA has prepared me to move on to the SHS Drama Club, because it has taught me some of the most important things successful actresses need to know, such as staying true to your character, speaking loudly and clearly, and always facing the audience,” Rose said. “I believe that every moment I have spent at the Arts Center has prepared me for the Drama Club because it has made me a stronger actress, and I believe that by having this background I can only get better at the high school.”

Rose also thanks her SCA teachers for providing a safe space for her to grow up.

“Even the worst of days were always better once I was on the SCA stage becoming a character,” she said. “Most people in this world don’t get the experience I have had through acting. Thanks to the amazing directors at SCA, I was able to learn all about the wonderful world of acting, and how it can change your life.”

Madden emphasized that the growth of the program is all thanks to the students, and what they have made it over the years.

“[The program] was always pretty popular, but it has grown probably threefold since I’ve been here,” Madden said. “It’s just really gained popularity, and I think that’s mostly because the kids have just made it great. When I first started there was more competition between the kids, and now this is a safe space for them, they’re all nice to each other and they all support each other, and I think that’s what keeps people coming back.”

Courtesy of Rachel Verbiar
Julia Rose (second from right) in the SCA Musical Theater Workshop production of “Dear Edwina.”

Rose added that the SCA program has taught her important lessons about friendship that will benefit her at SHS and beyond for the rest of her life.

“Another important thing I have learned is the importance of true friends,” Rose said. “Because of my fellow actors at SCA, I have learned how to be a better friend, and how certain people in your life can have such a big impact on who you are as a person. I would not be who I am today as an actor without all my incredible SCA friends helping me along the way.”

According to Verbiar, the most important thing that her time at SCA has taught her was not being a better actress, but being a better person.

“Skills I have learned that will be useful in high school are being confident and accepting. I think those two things will help me so much in high school with friends, academics, and theater in general,” Verbiar said.
You can see Verbiar as Madge Larrabee, and Rose as Alice Faulkner, as well as many other future SHS Drama Club members on stage in the Spotlight Youth Theater winter play “Sherlock Holmes” March 17-19 at SCA. Peewee Playbuilders will be presenting their production of “Night of the Goat Children” March 9 at the Solon Library, and March 10 at SCA. The Stories on Stage students will perform this year’s musical “The Jungle Book Kids” April 7 and 8. Visit solonarts.org for more information and tickets to all three upcoming shows.