Dee Bekelja shatters school record

Chad Spurio, Sports Reporter

On Feb. 15, the girls varsity basketball team beat out Mentor by 16 points in the last regular season game of the year. Such a blowout is nothing out of the ordinary for the Lady Comets as they finished the year with an undefeated record in the Greater Cleveland Conference, but for one player in particular, this game was anything but ordinary.

Posting a monster stat line of 28 points, 12 rebounds, five steals, and five assists, senior Dee Bekelja became the leading scorer in Solon basketball history– not just for girls basketball, but boys as well. Bekelja has been locked in all season long, averaging 20 points, three steals and seven rebounds per game. But for Bekelja, stats are secondary to winning the game– in fact, she wasn’t even aware that the record was within reach.

“I did not know I was close to breaking the record at that time and I had no idea going into the game,” Bekelja said. “Once I made the shot to break it, they stopped the game and announced it. That’s when I found out. Going into the season I didn’t make it a goal of mine to break it, but I knew it was something achievable that I kept in the back of my mind.”

It’s a testament to the work Bekelja has done over the past four years of her basketball career. However, basketball is a team sport, and Bekelja noted how influential her teammates have been to her individual performance.

“Having the school record in scoring is a really cool accomplishment for me individually because of all the hours I’ve put into this sport,” Bekelja said. “But I think it speaks volume for my teammates because I would not of been able to do it without their help.”

Trish Kruse, head coach of the varsity team, has been a mentor to Bekelja since her freshman year. In the wake of her sister, Jordan Bekelja, graduating and leaving the team, Dee has undergone a metamorphosis of sorts. Kruse thinks her ability to grow and learn on her own has enabled her to become the team leader she is today.

“[Bekelja’s] success on the court I believe has a lot to do with her maturing off the court,” Kruse said. “[She] would be the first to tell you her freshman year she didn’t know most of the plays or what to do, she just listened to her older sister Jordan and played. Now, four years later, Dee is calling out defenses, talking during timeouts, and helping guide younger players. That speaks to the growth of Bekelja both on and off the court.”

According to Kruse, other players on the team admire Bekelja’s will to win. Whether it’s running into a wall to save a possession or hitting a big shot, Bekelja’s demeanor on the court creates an environment in which anyone can succeed.

“Bekelja probably falls more under the category of a lead by example type player,” Kruse said. “When you watch her effort and intensity on the court, it’s contagious for our team. Bekelja is not always as serious as she looks on the court, and I think it’s good for an athlete to have that balance.”

Mariah Modkins, a junior and starter for the varsity team, expects that Bekelja’s recent achievement will propel them deeper into the playoffs and give them an extra boost as they prepare to face Twinsburg at Districts on Feb. 2.

“Bekelja’s accomplishment was exciting not only for her, but for the team as well,” Bekelja said. “We were proud of her and we are taking our momentum into the postseason.”

Modkins and Bekelja have a friendship that goes back seven or eight years. That kind of relationship has translated well to the court and has allowed them to develop great chemistry.

¨When I lived in New York, I played basketball with her cousin and that’s how we met,” Modkins said. “So we have been able to get to know each other well for a while now, and with so much in common we’ve clicked, and have been able to grow our friendship.¨

Bekelja is already committed to DePaul University to continue her basketball career, but there’s still work to be done. The post-season is here and while breaking a school record is an immense achievement, Bekelja has her sights set on a title to cap it all off. However, Bekelja acknowledged what it took to get her where she is today, for such a journey has been a team effort.

“I would like to thank my dad because he taught me everything I know about basketball and has always been there to support me,” Bekelja said. ¨And I would also like to thank my teammates because of all their hard work and for always pushing me to do my best.”