Student-faculty sporting game goes back to the basics

Hannah Edelman

Members of UNICEF and Student Council decorated the cafeteria and Senior Commons to advertise tickets for the raffle and, for seniors, for the ability to play in the game.

Hannah Edelman, Editor-in-Chief

Thursday, March 23, also known as the second-to-last day of school before spring break, is the 2017 date of Solon High School’s annual student-faculty sporting event. After a day of shortened class periods, SHS students will spend what would usually be their seventh period classes in the gymnasium watching their classmates and teachers face off in a game of basketball.

“I always think that it’s neat just for students to see teachers in a different light when they’re out there competing against them and having fun,” Solon High School history teacher Sean Fisher said.

Fisher, along with 12 other SHS teachers and security guards, will make up the faculty team opposing the students. Additionally, physical education teacher Travis Fankhauser will serve as the referee and math teacher Peter Havens will coach the faculty team.

For what Student Council advisor Jill Frimel Harvey estimated to be the past five years, participants played dodgeball during the pre-spring break tradition. However, she said Student Council decided to switch back to a basketball game in order to increase participation.

“We’re hoping to get more kids to come and watch to promote school spirit and to raise money for UNICEF,” Harvey said.

UNICEF will donate a Cleveland Cavaliers-themed gift basket to be raffled off, with tickets sold during lunch periods for $1 each. Additionally, although viewership is free and open to all students, only seniors can purchase the $1 extra ticket to actually participate in the game.

“I think it’s good just to change things up,” Fisher said. “Things sometimes get stale.”

Fisher explained that not only is basketball less chaotic than dodgeball, but he also played basketball prior to teaching and currently coaches the school team, giving him an advantage in the sport.

“Even for the kids who aren’t playing that are in the stands, they can kind of get on the teachers a little bit,” he said. “If somebody misses a shot, dribbles a ball off their foot, laugh at them a little bit. It kind of builds a little bit of school spirit, I think.”

In addition to the change in sport, students no longer have to purchase tickets to watch the game. Student Council co-president and senior Sydni Burg said she hopes this will also contribute to a greater turnout.

“The overall goal of the game is to increase school spirit with a fun (and hopefully amusing) game between the students and seniors,” she said. “And of course, ultimately we are raising money for a good cause.”

For more information on how to purchase tickets to participate in the game, interested seniors can contact Mrs. Harvey at [email protected].