It’s called March Madness for a reason

It’s called March Madness for a reason

Edward Melsher and Chad Spurio

According to statistics-based platform FiveThirtyEight, Villanova has the greatest chance at winning the championship, right at around 15% before the tournament started. Yet, even with statistics on their side, Villanova has as much of a chance as anyone. The hype around college basketball’s biggest stage revolves around close games, upsets, buzzer beaters, and the classic Cinderella stories. These forthcoming predictions might be completely wrong, but that’s the magic of March. Anything is possible.

EAST

E: Biggest Upset: #6 SMU over #3 Baylor

I love SMU’s lineup. Every single player in the team’s starting lineup is between 6’6”-6’8”, and they have four starters averaging double digits while all five shoot the three ball at or above 40%. That’s terrifying for any team SMU comes up against to think about. The Mustangs absolutely demolished the American Athletic Conference (AAC) this year, going 17-1 with the only loss coming against fellow 6-seed Cincinnati.

C: Biggest Upset: #6 SMU over #3 Baylor

Baylor’s first-round elimination last year to Yale left a bitter taste in the mouths of those hoping to see them make a Sweet Sixteen or even Elite Eight appearance. However, Makai Mason isn’t around to ruin any of the Bears’ fun this season and Baylor is a strong pick to go deep in this year’s tournament. Unfortunately, they’ll have to sneak past a red hot SMU team that has won its last 12 games and has posted a dominant conference record (17-1). SMU plays outstanding defense, holding their opponents to under 60 PPG. Not only that, but offensively they are a very well balanced ball club that features ACC Player of the Year, Semi Ojeleye, who will undoubtedly be a thorn in Baylor’s side should the two teams meet.

E: Final Four Pick: #1 Villanova

It’s hard not to pick last season’s champs after the way they’ve played this season. With several players from last year’s team returning, including star Josh Hart and the hero of last year’s national championship, Kris Jenkins, the Wildcats should have no problem being contenders for another title.

C: Final Four Pick: #2 Duke

After being the favorite to win it all at the beginning of the season, the Blue Devils have gone through a bit of turbulence. Forward Harry Giles has underperformed as of late and the team will have to beat the reigning champs, Villanova, to advance to the Final Four. However, Coach Krzyzewski and his men won’t go down without a fight. Duke’s recent victory over UNC demonstrated the sheer talent this team possesses. I think the explosive trio of Jayson Tatum, Grayson Allen and Luke Kennard are going to give the Wildcats a real run for their money down the stretch.

WEST

E: Biggest Upset: #11 Xavier over #6 Maryland

Besides this pick, not much happens in the West region. While Melo Trimble’s resurgence for Maryland after his sophomore slump makes this a tough matchup for the Musketeers, Maryland is overseeded and Xavier has historically done well in March. I expect Trevon Bluiett to put on a show and help Xavier advance to an eventual loss against Florida State.

C: Biggest Upset: #11 Xavier over #6 Maryland

This is my only upset pick in the entire West region. Xavier boast immense height and uses it to dominate on both the boards and inside the paint. The team will need to stop Melo Trimble who has exploded as an elite guard this season, averaging 17 PPG. Despite losing star Edmond Sumner to injury earlier this season, expect Xavier to knock out the Terrapins early in this first round bout.

E: Final Four Pick: #2 Arizona

Don’t get me wrong: I love Gonzaga this year. I don’t care that they have a reputation for choking in the tournament, never living up to expectations–this year’s different. However, I love Arizona even more in the probable Elite Eight matchup against the Zags. After watching a few Lauri Markkanen highlight reels, I’m salivating just thinking about what he’s capable of in a rather weak region. The 7-foot three-point specialist, along with the return of impact sophomore Alonzo Trier from suspension should be enough to help the Wildcats out of the West.

C: Final Four Pick: #2 Arizona

Gonzaga has put together one of its most spectacular teams of all time for this year’s tournament– there’s no doubting that. But despite going 17-1 in their conference, scoring 85 PPG and going 6-0 when facing teams in the Top 25, I think history would agree that the Bulldogs are hard to rely on when entering the Elite Eight. Arizona’s offense is just potent enough to hand Gonzaga another disappointing defeat.

MIDWEST

E: Biggest Upset: #11 Rhode Island over #6 Creighton

Again, a somewhat underwhelming selection. What concerns me about Creighton is their performance since leader Maurice Watson Jr. went down with a finger injury. The Bluejays finished the regular season 5-7, including losses to Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, and a double-digit blowout to lowly Georgetown. It’s hard to pick that sort of form especially against Rhode Island, who won eight straight to round up the season, including two big wins against VCU.

C: Biggest Upset: #12 Nevada over #5 ISU

Nevada and Iowa State share something in common: they both live and die by the three. Neither will make it very far in the tournament, but their first round matchup should prove to be a shootout of immense proportions. Both teams have averaged 80 PPG and have not shown much fight on the defensive end. If Nevada can stop Monte Morris (averaging 16 PPG), look for them to shoot their way past a Cyclones squad that has struggled against teams in their own conference as well as teams in the Top 25.

E: Final Four Pick: #1 Kansas

Bill Self’s Jayhawks are the ultimate model of consistency in March. The team just won their 13th straight Big 12 title. With an extremely talented roster including elite freshman prospect Josh Jackson and star Frank Mason III, I don’t see them bowing out before the Final Four in the weakest overall region.

C: Final Four Pick: #1 Kansas

The Jayhawks have been given a cakewalk to the Final Four. Not to say that Louisville or Oregon aren’t formidable adversaries, but Kansas’ history and star-studded roster should allow the Jayhawks to overpower any team in their way. Forward Josh Jackson and guard Frank Mason won’t be stopped en route to yet another Jayhawk Final Four appearance.

SOUTH

E: Biggest Upset : #12 Middle Tennessee State over #5 Minnesota

The biggest underdogs to overcome the odds from last year’s NCAA tournament are back to prove that they weren’t one-and-done. In 2016, #15 Middle Tennessee State defeated popular title pick #2 Michigan State handily in what was quite possibly the largest upset in tournament history. The Blue Raiders return just about all of their roster from last year AND add Arkansas transfer Jacorey Williams, who has quickly become the team’s leading scorer. Last year’s Cinderella story has a chance to show some magic once again.

C: Biggest Upset: #10 Wichita St. over #2 Kentucky

Wichita State is going to surprise a lot of people this March. The Shockers are coming into the tournament on a 15 game win streak that has allowed them to post a record of 17-1 in their conference. They lost their only game in the Top 25, but I think the surge that Wichita State is on will carry them not only past Kentucky, but even into the Elite Eight. Betting against Kentucky and John Calipari is always hard, but if there’s a team to do it, it’s Gregg Marshall’s Shockers.

E: Final Four Pick: #1 North Carolina

The South is by far the toughest region. The 16-team pool features a freshman-filled Kentucky, an ultra-athletic UCLA and a few dark horses in Butler and Wichita State. Even so, North Carolina has proven to be the strongest team out of the bunch. Led by arguably the best player in this entire tournament in Justin Jackson, North Carolina and Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams will look to their trio of Jackson, Joel Berry II and Kennedy Meeks to overcome their hardest challenge this season.

C: Final Four Pick: #1 North Carolina

After last year’s heartbreaking championship finish, the Tar Heels are back and better than before. North Carolina is heavily favored to win it all again this time around and with good reason. Junior forward Justin Jackson is going to give any team problems with his scoring ability (averaging 18 PPG) and improved jump shot. UNC’s rebounding ability is second to none, with senior Kennedy Meeks locking down the paint. The Tar Heels, lead by legendary coach Roy Williams, are going to have to claw their way to the top of the South region, but they have the mettle to do it.

CHAMPIONSHIP

E: In the end, I’m predicting a rematch of last year’s title game, which has only happened once in NCAA tournament history (1961-62: Cincinnati vs. Ohio State). This time, however, Kris Jenkins’ heroics won’t be enough to take out the Tar Heels. Justin Jackson puts the team on his back against fellow national player of the year contender Josh Hart and leads North Carolina to their seventh national championship and first since 2009.

C: The last time they played, Duke beat North Carolina 86-78 with Luke Kennard, Grayson Allen and Jayson Tatum combining for 64 points. This time around, I’m predicting that the Tar Heels flip the script and beat the Blue Devils 68-61. Justin Jackson and Jayson Tatum will be a matchup to see, but I think Jackson will get the upper hand in this one and lead UNC to its seventh national title.
Without a doubt, this is one of the most spectacular sporting events of the year. Try not to focus on your bracket too much. Instead, just sit back and enjoy the madness that will inevitably unfold.