‘All Shook Up’ brings Elvis songs to life

Christina Cartwright, Art/Video Editor

Solon High School will be presenting “All Shook Up,” for this year’s spring musical. It’s based on Shakespeare’s 1602 play, “Twelfth Night,” and features songs by Elvis Presley. Opening night is Thursday April 20 and will be shown until Sunday April 23.

The musical is about a girl named Natalie who lives in a small town where dancing is considered sinful and kissing others is a crime. Natalie falls in love with the son of the mayor, who is the one making all these laws.

Elvis is a heavy influence on the show, from the songs being performed to the actors portraying an Elvis-like character. Freshman Joelle Fisher, who will be playing the role of Lorraine, described how it was to be performing a musical with influences from Elvis.

“You can never go wrong with [singing and dancing] to Elvis,” Fisher said. “His legacy is embodied into this entire show.”

Doug Wolfe
Emily McCulley as Natalie.

The members of Drama Club have been rehearsing for “All Shook Up” since January. Many members even stay after school until 10 or 11p.m. rehearsing for the musical.

“The amount of work that has gone into this show has been incredible,” Fisher said. “Every single person between the cast, crew, orchestra and directors have all put so much hard work and dedication in individually, and that’s what makes this show so great to be a part of.”

On Thursday evening, the cast and crew’s hard work will pay off. Junior Lilly Saunders, who will be double casted as the roles of Natalie and Ed, shared how it felt to go from rehearsals to a live show.

“Performing a show with an audience is so different then performing without one,” Saunders said. “It always feels great to know that people love something that you’ve put all your time into.

Senior Jeremy Klein and junior Emma Moughan as Dennis and Miss Sandra respectively.

After all the hard work these students put into the show, they have all formed a very close bond with each other. Saunders talked about how excited she was to put on this show, while working with such an amazing group of people.

“‘All Shook Up’ is such a fun and crazy show with incredible music and a fantastic cast and crew,” Saunders said. “I’ve loved every second of [making] this musical. Out of everything we’ve done, working with such a talented group of people has been the most memorable thing about making this musical.”

Students and senior citizens can purchase tickets at solon.es/shookup for $10, and adult tickets will be $12. Students will have a discount on Thursday where tickets will be sold at half price for $5.