Girl Up Benefit Dinner

Courtesy of @UN on Twitter

SchoolCycle provides bikes for underprivileged girls.

Megan Lebowitz, Contributing Writer

Girl Up will be hosting a benefit dinner on Feb. 24 from 6 to 9 p.m. in Solon High School’s cafeteria. Proceeds will be split between the Girl Up SchoolCycle Initiative, which provides underprivileged girls with bikes, and the Revival Social Club of Cleveland, which supports refugees in the Cleveland community.

SchoolCycle helps girls in Guatemala and Malawi establish their independence and travel to school safely and easily. Every 125 dollars donated will provide a bike, spare parts and bike maintenance training for the girls.

Co-President of Girl Up Diana Huang said she hopes that the Benefit Dinner will raise awareness for the girls’ challenges.

“Having a bike may seem so mundane but it can transform a girl’s life,” Huang said. “These girls live in areas with high risks for sexual assault and violence and some are forced to walk along dangerous paths to get to school.”

Similarly, Girl Up advisor Kelly Fishman expressed the desire for everyone to come together to support women’s rights. As a teacher and a mom, she said she believes that all kids should have access to education.

Besides raising awareness for the challenges of underprivileged girls, the benefit dinner also boasts full course gourmet meals with a special spin on cafeteria food to emphasize the importance of education. The evening will also feature entertainment from SHS’s musicians, with musical acts including a small jazz band, vocal performances, pianists, clarinetists,  violinists and more.

The chefs include Tricia McCune (Mouthwater Media), Melissa Khoury and Penny Barend (Saucisson), Leah Malec (Salerno Group), Christine Fishman (The Fishbowl), Joy Burke (Revival Social Dinner) and Ange Lupica (Pastry Chef).

The cost of attendance is 50 dollars per person or 30 dollars for students. Donations are also welcome.

Click this link to purchase tickets.