Six super easy DIY gifts for your parents

Lara Decastecker, Contributing Writer

Mother’s Day is just around the corner and before you blink another eye, Father’s Day will be knocking on your door. As teens in high school, we no longer spend a few mandatory days in art class making crafts or writing a card for our parents. Still, they deserve a thoughtful gift once a year, right? I’d think so. Here are some easy DIY, affordable gifts to show your appreciation.

Mothers Day

1. Homemade Sugar Scrub
Check out the recipe here: https://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/sugar-scrub-recipes/

After a tiring day at work or a few minutes after dinner is done, I’m almost sure your mom is complaining about her back pain, or maybe she just needs some relaxation time. Whatever it may be, this recipe is a perfect solution for her dilemma. Considering sugar scrub is both an endearing and useful idea, it’d make your Mother’s day for sure. This link has all the ingredient listed out and the precise steps, but I’ll lay it down here too so you know what you’re dealing with!

• ¼ cup of Coconut Oil
  • ¾ – 1 cup of granulated white sugar
  • 2-4 drops of yellow or red food coloring
  • 10-15 drops of Lemon Essential Oil

OR

• 10-16 drops of Raspberry or Vanilla Extract
  1. Box of Goodies
Photo courtesy of Pinterest via Crazy Little Projects.

The box of goodies idea has been used countless times by significant others, but not enough from children to their parents. It’s sweet, affordable and the perfect gift solution for someone who wants to give a lot in not-so-much time. Just stop by a few stores (maybe even just the dollar store), decorate a box and you’re set. Also, don’t forget to put in the basics: candy, bath and body works and a piece of jewelry.

Father’s Day

1. Goodies-filled Glass Soda bottles
For further details and ideas on the project, check out this link: http://soapdelinews.com/2013/06/diy-fathers-day-gift-homemade-six-pack-of-treats-for-dad.html

This gift is not only sweet, but it’ll also get you a few laughs. If you don’t have any empty soda bottles, buy cheap old-fashioned soda six packs. They can be found either at World Market in Mayfield or Big Lots in Bainbridge. The bottles don’t all have to be filled with candy, it can be more personable. For example, maybe popcorn could work for your father if he’s a movie guy.

1. Mason Jar of Dad Jokes
Photo courtesy of Pinterest viz Kate Scalzo Knits blog.

If your dad is a funny guy, this could be quite the perfect gift. If not so much, and he is more sentimental, the sticks could instead be memories you two have together (song lyrics he likes or uplifting quotes) since there’s an endless possibility of things you can do with mason jars. On another note, if you don’t have any jars or popsicle sticks on hand, Michael’s in Aurora sells them for super cheap.

Both

1. Homemade Lip Balm
For the full recipe, go here: https://www.happinessishomemade.net/10-minute-diy-lip-balm/

The packaging might seem to be fit for another occasion, but this can be reworked as a bigger present. No matter the season, our lips always need a little help. This gift fits for both mom and dad no doubt since you can change the color accordingly. Unlike what you’d find at a store, this lip balm is more natural (I’d definitely prefer to use it). You can buy these lip balm containers or bigger ones at Michael’s.

1. Scrapbook / Journal
Photo Courtesy of TheGoldneType on Etsy.com.

Out of all the presents, this one would be for the most sentimental of families. It can be done very artistically with printed out photos or emotionally with diary entries. You could also do both. This book is only $10 on Etsy and is a complete steal due to its nice material and overall feel. A good base set of necessities for this include:

• Colored pencils or pens
  • Card stock
  • Scissors
  • A variety of stickers
  • Photographs and printed media
  • Regular or washi tape

That’s a wrap! Now all that’s left is to get started. You have the choice of picking your favorite!