Advice to Freshmen as SHS returns to school

A teen girl stands outside with her backpack. Photo courtesy of unsplash.com

Hannah Levenson

As you enter Solon High School (SHS) on your first day of in-person learning on Monday Oct. 19, you might find the classrooms are located in confusing places, and unfamiliar faces surround you. The transition from middle school to high school is a leap that many teenagers face. Freshman year can be difficult due to changes from middle school such as more homework, less personal time and more responsibilities. However, time often flies by fast in high school, as we are a quarter done with the 2020-2021 school year.

Trying different clubs is a common way to explore your interests and to meet new people. SHS has over 40 clubs to choose from. Some meet once a month while others meet every week so there is a variance of commitment. Clubs are a popular way to meet new people who share the same interests.

According to SHS senior Serena Mehta, it is good to do different classes and activities from your friends. 

“I kinda felt a little bit of pressure like all these people are doing [certain clubs and classes] and I’m left out,” Mehta said. “But really I decided to pursue Key Club, UNICEF, a lot of community service, and I’m now president of Key Club and the [public relations] for UNICEF, and that’s what I love doing, and I think it’s ok to make your own path in high school.”

The balance between all of your classes, clubs, and extracurriculars outside of school can be difficult. According to sophomore Kiera Hale, her biggest challenge was pressure from herself and outside influences. 

“[I] stressed myself out more than I needed to,” Hale said. “Mental health is really important, maybe it’s cliché but…you’ll perform at your best when you feel the best about yourself.”

According to Hale, having friends with you by your side can make your time in high school more enjoyable and better your mental health. 

“Find a good group and manage your time well,” Hale said. “[Due to the fact that] there is a lot more going on high school than in middle school, you know…about finding a good group, it’s always good to have somebody to fall back on when things get too hectic or uh overwhelming.”

Many teenagers say that school is their biggest stressor according to a Baltimore study. Avoiding stress often leads to more stress. Director of the School Counseling Department Ann Trocchio recommends studying material every day to build confidence in a subject and to eliminate distractions. 

“It is important that students read and study every day just not the day before the test,” Trocchio said. “This will help them feel more confident and well prepared which will lower anxiety.

“It is important to take things day by day and create a list, use an agenda and stay organized. It is also important to eliminate distractions such as phones – it is easy to text and be on social media when we are remote – avoid this at all costs – this will create a huge distraction and before you know it, you will be behind creating stress and anxiety.”

According to Trocchio, helpful stress management techniques include writing in a journal, taking a walk, stretching, using breathing techniques, exercising and hanging out with friends virtually. A trusted teacher can be someone to turn to, as well as your guidance counselor when you need help with school-related tasks or general advice. Your school guidance counselors are not just there for academic counseling, but also social & emotional counseling. You can come to them for all kinds of different issues and it remains confidential.

You can make an appointment with your guidance counselor by email. The school guidance counselors emails can be found from the staff directory in the SHS homepage. When school is regularly in session, you can make an appointment at the guidance front desk which is located in the guidance office, across from the main office.