Solon students’ favorite Halloween candy

A variety of store bought candy in preparation for Halloween

Jaclyn Rzepka, Contributing Writer

Fall is full of smells, sights, and sounds. Oct. 31 is an especially popular day for children and even adults. Halloween is full of trick or treating, making memories, and collecting candy. Getting candy is a highlight for many, and is a great way to stock up on a variety of different sweets.

Americans purchase nearly 600 million pounds of candy a year for Halloween. This means numerous different types of candy are produced and sold. 

Over 90 million pounds of chocolate are sold during the week of Halloween. 

Stores are capitalizing on Halloween candy and making a great profit. Senior Michelle Fayner has gone trick or treating her whole childhood, and talks about her favorite candy.

“Reeses are my favorite candy by far,” Fayner said. “No other candy can compare. I love the ratio of chocolate to peanut butter. I like to go to Market District a few weeks before Halloween and stock up before they sell out.”

Stores are constantly selling different types of products ranging from chocolates, lollipops, sweet and sour candy, etc. Senior Logan Cingel reflects upon his favorite memories while trick or treating, as well as his favorite sour candy.

“Watermelon Sour Patch Kids are by far the best candy to exist,” Cingel said. “The way they make my tongue feel is indescribable. My favorite memory of trick or treating was when my brother and I hit a house with big candy two times in a row. I got six deluxe bags of Sour Patch Kids. It was the best day of my life.”

Trading candy is a highlight for many kids growing up. Senior Ryan Simmonds reflects on a nostalgic memory with his sister McKenzie Simmonds.

“My favorite part of Halloween is trading candy with my sister,” Simmonds said. “She always gave me her Skittles, and I always gave her my Hershey’s chocolate bars. It was the perfect trade. My tactic is to stock up on all the Skittles possible. I love the unique and fruity flavors.”

Along with the candy, comes a fun social experience. Dressing up in a costume is fun for kids and even some adults. Senior Charlie Rumizen loves the festivities of Halloween and loves to dress up.

“I always loved dressing up as Superman,” Rumizen said. “I loved feeling big and strong while walking up to my neighbors houses. Sometimes the neighbors would give me two packs of Sweedish Fish because they liked my outfit and knew it was my favorite candy. At the end of the night on Halloween my friends always drop off all their Swedish fish. It’s amazing.”