2021 Solon School Board elections

Solon Board of Education office

Ethan Dobres

Solon Board of Education office

Ethan Dobres, Contributing Writer

On Tuesday Nov. 2, Solon and Glenwillow residents will head to the polls and vote for candidates for the Solon City School District Board. Marilyn Thomas, who has served on the school board since the 1970s, made the decision this year not to run for another term. This left three candidates running for two open seats: incumbent John Heckman, Michele Barksdale, and Caryne Urbank.

Each voter can select two candidates. The top two finishers will serve a four year term beginning on Jan. 1, 2022. John Heckman is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and has served on the school board since 2012. Michele Barksdale, according to her Facebook page, has 10 years of volunteering in the school district and is the mother of four Solon High School graduates. Caryne Urbank is a member of Solon Early Childhood PTA and said on her Facebook page that she is “the only independent running for school board.”

The Solon Courier asked each of the candidates six questions on issues that closely pertain to the school district’s thousands of students, parents and teachers.

John Heckman

Q: Why are you running for school board?

A: Serving as a board member in Solon is an honor. As a finance professional, I believe I bring a unique perspective to the board. I am always looking at the value our schools provide to not only our students but to the greater community. I am also running to retain my board position because I believe continuity and stability is important for our excellent schools especially in this time of the COVID pandemic coupled with leadership changes within the district.

Q: What do you believe is the biggest issue faced by the Solon School District?

A: I believe that the biggest challenge that we are currently facing as a school district is getting through the challenges of the COVID pandemic. In addition, I am always aware of how the schools are funded in Ohio and how changes at the state level impact us here in Solon.

Q: What’s your position on the district-wide mask mandate?

A: I believe that we as a district have implemented the appropriate mask mandate for all. The district administration is in constant contact with the Cuyahoga County and Ohio health departments to monitor the situation locally, which assists us in making COVID-related decisions regarding protocols in school, including indoor mask requirements. We look at hyper-local case data for our zip code every day to help determine when we could change the mask protocol from a requirement and back to strongly recommended as we started the year at the high school. The decisions on mask protocols are made with the intention of providing the greatest protection to keep students in school and being able to participate in extra-curricular activities such as, sports, drama, music and clubs. We will get through this together.

Q: How do you feel about the DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) curriculum?

A: Diversity, equity and inclusion (“DEI”) is a term used to describe policies and programs that promote the representation and participation of different groups of individuals. DEI is everywhere in today’s society. Valuing diversity and working collaboratively with our families and community on creating inclusive supportive environments is embedded in our Strategic Plan and the district mission. As a diverse community, it’s important that everyone be respectful of one another’s differences as well as celebrate everyone’s uniqueness.

Q: Many seniors at the high school are voting for the first time. How does your platform appeal to them?

A: As a board member, I understand how important it is to meet the
needs of all students. In our district, we invest in providing a wide range of opportunities for students, especially at Solon High School, in and out of the classroom. We have extensive AP and elective class offerings and many clubs and extra-curricular activities. I believe we have something for every student in Solon. I volunteer with the Solon Music Parents, the Athletic Boosters and PTA and am able to see first-hand not only how talented our students are but how important these activities are to students and their families. With so many high-quality academic and extra-curricular choices, the goal is for students to be well-rounded and fully prepared to apply and be accepted to the colleges of their choice, enter the workforce, join the military or safety forces, or even take a gap year for exploration, whichever best meets their needs and interests. No school is perfect, but in Solon we always focus on putting students first.

Q: How do you plan to carry on the legacy of former Superintendent Joe Regano?

A: As you know, the Board of Education honored the legacy of our longtime superintendent by renaming the Solon Preschool, The Joseph V. Regano Early Learning Center. Joe was an exceptional administrator and gifted educator. He believed strongly in providing the best possible educational and extra-curricular programs for Solon and Glenwillow students to set them up for future success. I believe we all will carry on his legacy by continuing to meet our district mission of ensuring all students attain the knowledge and skills they need to become contributing, ethical citizens. I hope to continue to build on the foundation that Joe set forth for the Solon Schools by supporting the strong academic and great art, music and athletic programs our district is known for throughout Ohio.

Michele Barksdale

A: I am running for School Board because I am at a point in my life that I am ready to give back to the community and school that did so much for my family. I have four children who all graduated from SHS and were very successful. I want other families to experience the rich opportunities the Solon Schools have to offer just as my family did. I want families and students to feel that they are accepted and acknowledged so they may embrace their authentic selves and develop their unique talents.

A: Maintaining a strong sense of cohesion and unity across the school while still pursuing excellence.

A: I am in favor. I follow the CDC recommendations / science. It’s important to remember we are part of a community and that means doing what is best for the majority so we can all be safe. We all want to see our students back in school learning and participating in all activities that are offered to them.

A: I believe in creating a school environment that values the individual student and allows them to be their authentic self.

A: My platform is inclusive and empowering. Today’s seniors will be entering the next phase of their lives where they will be challenged to be independent thinkers. They will meet others who may have differing or maybe even opposing opinions. Solon Schools should continue to empower its students to work with and value difference. This will help them achieve lifelong growth and give them the ability to progress in the world as well as their careers.

A: By continuing to put our students first when making decisions. Also by continuing the pursuit of excellence in education. This is what Joe Regano exemplified.

Caryne Urbank

A: Somebody needs to be connecting with parents. Somebody needs to be asking questions before things are approved instead of after. Somebody should be prioritizing individual choice and beliefs. When I see people asking for ‘somebody’ to do something, I look to see what I can do to help. As a graduate of SHS, I have great appreciation for our schools and also know that things don’t just stay great without effort. I enjoy volunteering and helping my family, church and community. As a school board member, I believe I can be that ‘somebody’ who can connect and contribute.

A: I believe the school has two big issues right now. The first is regaining trust from parents and dealing with very conflicting public perceptions that make it impossible to please everyone. The second being finding ways to partner with families and students to reduce the heavy academic pressure that many students increasingly feel as they go up through the grades, without compromising our excellent results and education. I believe that finding ways to reduce this pressure would also reduce the drug and alcohol use of our high school students that, while much less than many other schools, is not non-existent.

A: It is important for our schools to keep students safe during the school day. Constantly changing advice on how to do this often includes mask recommendations. However, every other medical decision is left to personal or parent choice, and I believe masking should not be different. Mask encouragement is great, but if we remove bodily and medical autonomy on this issue it sets a precedent to be applied to other issues in the future. I believe encouraging frequent hand washing, regular cleaning and staying home when sick are at least equally important in preventing spread of illness.

A: Solon Schools have valued and promoted diversity for decades. However the DEI title is fairly new. It comes with new terminology, agencies and experts. Last year’s SHS program led to more students feeling that the school environment was racist (from survey results), alienated parents, and also had many students feeling a drive to change things without knowing how. However, Solon DEI has also pulled under its umbrella many excellent programs and clubs teaching about different cultures, religions and viewpoints for all grade levels. This year’s SHS program is scheduled to follow the students’ requested topics and partner more closely with families.

A: Seniors at SHS have both experience and investment in our schools. They know what it’s like to deal with academic pressure as well as social pressure as they develop their own opinions and beliefs that don’t always align with others. They are passionate about personal choice and becoming their own person. By the time term is over for this year’s elected board members, many of these seniors will even be parents themselves. My platform prioritizes family involvement, individual choices, and everyone having an equally important voice to add to the conversation regardless of their background and beliefs.

A: Superintendent Joe Regano has left behind an unmatchable legacy in Solon Schools. For over 30 years he worked together with local families, businesses, and state government to help our schools more than double in size and rise to number one in the state. The schools did not become number one in isolation– but by a partnership with and full investment from parents, students, staff and the entire communities of Solon and Glenwillow. I plan to follow in his path of collaboration with families and the greater community to keep our schools strong.

When they cast their ballots on Tuesday, voters for the Solon School Board will make an important decision that will have an impact on the district’s students for years to come.