Niya Fried makes it to the tennis state championship

Divjot Kaur, Contributing Writer

Solon High School Junior Niya Fried made it to the tennis state finals this year in singles. Fried competed in a singles match during the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) Northeast Division I District Tennis Tournament in Akron, Ohio on Oct 14, 2021. Her win/loss record stands at 17-6. Fried, a right-hander, during her whole season has defeated Hathaway Brown’s Summer Mu, Massillon Jackson’s Madison Altman, Highland’s Sarah Scambati, North Canton Hoover’s Lily Altman, Kenston’s Brooke McNeil, Hudson’s Sunny Fan, Avon’s Denver Johnson, Boardman’s Ava Valko, and more.

Q: What inspired you to become a tennis player?

A: When I was five, I decided that I wanted to be a tennis player. I love the strategy and complexity of the game, as well as meeting new people while competing. I have always been competitive, loving the challenge of trying to be the best at all that I do.

Q: What was it like representing Solon at the state tournament & what were the results?

A: It was exciting, but there was also a lot of pressure to represent Solon at the tournament. It was a great opportunity, and even though my results did not comply, it was still an amazing experience to be there again.

Q: How do your coach and teammates inspire you to work hard each day?

A: My coach and teammates pumped me and cheered me on throughout the entire season, and their positivity really carried me through each and every match. They supported me and pushed me to fight for everything, and my coach was right there by my side the whole time.

Q: How did you feel doing a clap out in front of the whole school by yourself?

A: It was awesome but terrifying at the same time. It made me feel great and excited to represent a part of the school and have everyone know about it.

Q: Is there anyone you attribute your success to?

A: I would attribute my parents to my successes this year because my mother pushed me to train harder before this season to prepare myself and work on my game.

Q: Were you nervous when going to states?

A: Yes, I was very nervous for states. However, I knew where I was going, the setting, and I was excited to see my tennis friends there as well.

Q: What are the basic shots in tennis and which one are you best at?

A: The basic shots in tennis are a forehand, backhand, volleys, serves, and overheads. My best strokes are my forehand, serves, and volleys.

Q: What made this season unique?

A: What made this season unique was beating Summer Mu from Hathaway Brown in the first match of the season which was a big win. It was a great way to start off, and it set the tone for the rest of the season.

Q: What are your expectations for next year?

A: My expectations for next year are to do just as well and work just as hard to win those tough matches. Another expectation, of course, would be to make it to States in singles as well.

Q: What advice would you pass down to underclassmen who also have a dream to play tennis?

A: My advice would be to work hard and be prepared before the season starts. Also, go after those hard matches when you are up against people who are presumed to be better than you because you never know what could happen on that day. Never stop fighting!

Q: Any additional comments you’d like to share?

A: I just wanted to thank everyone at the school for being so supportive and asking how everything was going such as teachers, faculty, and more.