Solon High School’s boys basketball approaches their 2022 season

2021-2022 SHS basketball team

2021-2022 SHS basketball team

Kassidy Samuelraj, Contributing Writer

The 2021 boys basketball season ended successfully as they tied for the league championship. Going into the new season, Solon High School hosted the 2022 boys basketball tryouts that took place the first week of November and lasted for five days. Once the teams were chosen, the boys got straight into work to prepare for the season. The teams have already started lifting and conditioning in October to further prepare for their season.

The teams practice everyday after school for two and a half hours.

Avery Perryman, a junior on the boys varsity team, transferred to SHS this year from Saint Joseph Academy for basketball opportunities. Perryman is preparing for his first season at SHS.

“Personally, I get in the mindset that we have to be a fast paced team, and we have to be aggressive,” Perryman said. “We can’t be tired, so conditioning is really helping me with that.”

Some boys that are now a part of the SHS basketball team’s have not yet played high school basketball at all. SHS freshman, Omari Braxton, is starting his first season in his high school career.

“I practice shooting and working on my handles almost every other day to prepare for the season,” Braxton said.

The varsity team will be coached by Tony DeCesare as the head coach and Duston Lyons as the assistant coach. David Leskovec will be coaching the JV team and Bryant Blair will be coaching the freshman team.

“This year’s team has the potential to be very good,” DeCesare said. “We have a lot of new players to the varsity level, so it will depend on how quickly they adjust. But I really like the overall talent of this group. If we work the way we need to we can have a lot of success this season.”

According to DeCesare, the team is working hard in hopes to get a lot of work in and go far in the postseason.

“I think this team has a chance to make a deep postseason run,” DeCesare said. “If we continue to improve over the next four months I like our chances.”

SHS boys varsity basketball will play their first game on Sunday, Nov. 27 vs Richmond Heights.