Five Division II Committed Athletes for 2023

Seniors Will Johnson, Jordan Grafton, Joel Kpassou, Blake Hoegler and Caleb Walker on signing day.

Jayne Klein

Reilly Roth, Staff Writer

Solon High School athletes Blake Hoegler, Joel Kpassou, Caleb Walker, Will Johnson and Jordan Grafton have each signed letters of intent to continue their athletic and academic journeys at the collegiate level for the next four years of their lives.

Senior Blake Hoegler and Family on signing day (Jayne Klein)

Blake Hoegler, Football, Mercyhurst University

Senior Blake Hoegler will be taking his athletic talent to the next level to play college football for Division II at Mercyhurst University. Hoegler played left tackle for three years on the SHS varsity team and lettered twice. Additionally, he was selected as one of the team captains for this previous season and will take his football and leadership talents to Mercyhurst this coming fall.

RR: Why did you choose to commit to Mercyhurst University?

BH: I was already thinking of going here because of the Lecom Program (pre-health), the good food, and big dorms and when the coach showed me the scholarship that was the icing on the cake.

RR: Who has had the biggest impact on you during your time at SHS?

BH: Probably Mrs. Ahrens or Mr. Grimm because I loved their classes. Athletically J.D. [Dunn] because he pushed me to get stronger every day.

RR: What are you most excited about for your first season at Mercyhurst University?

BH: All the free clothes and shoes we get, also lifting with the team.

RR: Where do you see yourself in a few years?

BH: Probably playing football or in med school.

RR: What will you miss most about Solon Comets Football?

BH: The teammates, whac-a-dillow and swimming in Dillow’s pool at one a.m. after wins.

RR: What was your favorite sports memory?

BH: When we beat Mentor my junior year.

Joel Kpassou on signing day (Jayne Klein )

Joel Kpassou, Football University of Findlay

Joel Kpassou is a three year varsity letterman, three times all conference winner, two times Ohio and Ohio second team for wide receiver, and has chosen to take his athletic talents to University of Findlay to continue his football career. Kpassou was MVP for the GCC in 2022 and is on record for the most catches in a game for SHS and will extend these talents at University of Findlay.

RR: Why did you choose to commit to the University of Findlay?

JK: I chose to commit to the University of Findlay because I really liked the environment of the school, the team and the university has a really good education.

JK: Mrs. Trocchio and Coach Wiz. Mrs. Trocchio pushed me to keep my grades up and Coach Wiz showed me it was possible to be able to play college football.

RR: What are you most excited about for your first season at the University of Findlay?

JK: I am most excited about playing against my former teammates and seeing everyone once we have moved onto college football.

JK: I see myself as the starting corner at University of Findlay and hopefully being an All American.

JK: I will miss all my teammates and coaches.

JK: My favorite sports memory was a game at Mentor High School my junior year when we beat Mentor’s football team during a very close game that was just all around fun.

Caleb Walker and Varsity Baseball Coach Mr. Kopkas (Jayne Klein)

Caleb Walker, Baseball, Augustana University

Three year varsity letterman Caleb Walker will be extending his athletic career at Augustana University to play Division II baseball. Walker was named first team all conference in 2022 for basketball but decided to only continue baseball at the collegiate level. Now, he will be pitching and in the outfield as he starts his career at Augustana.

RR: Why did you choose to commit to Augustana University?

CW: I knew that Augustana had a great baseball program, but when I visited the campus it felt like home. From that point on, I just knew that I wanted to be there.

CW: I can’t give all the credit to just one person, but I feel like my family has obviously played a big role during my time here. They always made sure I stayed on top of my athletics and academics and have always been my biggest supporters.

RR: What are you most excited about for your first season at Augustana University?

CW: I’ve been a multi-sport athlete my whole life, so now that I actually have time to give undivided attention just to baseball, I think I can really start to excel the way that I want to–which is really exciting.

CW: I see myself continuing my baseball career and then hopefully getting my master’s degree in Sports Management.

RR: What will you miss most about Solon Comets Baseball?

CW: I’ll miss playing with all my best friends that I grew up with and being able to be a role model for people in my city.

CW: My favorite sports memory was getting my varsity letter after my sophomore year season for both basketball and baseball.

Will Johnson accompanied by family while signing national letter of intent (Jayne Klein )

William Johnson, Football, West Virginia Wesleyan College

Senior and Offensive Tackle William Johnson has played for the SHS football program for four years and wants to continue his career at a collegiate level. This will take Johnson to West Virginia Wesleyan College for the next four years.

RR: Why did you choose to commit to West Virginia Wesleyan College?

WJ: I chose West Virginia Wesleyan College because they offered me more money than any other college, and I will have the opportunity to play against my cousin.

WJ: My weight lifting coach J.D. Dunn. He trained my body so that I would be ready to play in the best shape my senior year.

RR: What are you most excited about for your first season at West Virginia Wesleyan College?

WJ: I’m most excited to play as a true freshman.

WJ: Continuing my athletic career as well as earning my degree in Sports Medicine.

WJ: I will miss the more relaxed schedule that high school football has to offer compared to the much more harsh schedule of college football.

WJ: When we played our homecoming game because it was my birthday, and we won. so I will always remember it.

Jordan Grafton signing his national letter of intent (Jayne Klein)

Jordan Grafton, Track & Field, Ashland University

Jordan Grafton, who is a three year letterman will be taking his athletic talents to Ashland University to run for their Track & Field team. Grafton has had many achievements throughout his high school career, he is a district champion, regional champion and a state qualifier and plans to continue to have successes similar at Ashland.

RR: Why did you choose to commit to Ashland University?

JG: I chose to commit to Ashland University because it felt like home. I had a few visits with other colleges, but it didn’t feel right. The people at Ashland made me feel like family five minutes into our first conversation. After meeting the team and seeing the facilities, I was sold.

JG: My guidance counselor Mr. Nowak had the biggest impact on me. He is a resource that is always available for almost anything I need, and anything he couldn’t help me with he would find someone who could. He emails me over the weekend to follow up on any of my questions, and I can truly see he cares. I wouldn’t be in the position I am academically or athletically without him.

RR: What are you most excited about for your first season at Ashland University?

JG: I’m most excited about meeting my new teammates and creating new relationships. I’ve always had the same few teammates and friends throughout my sports career, so it’s exciting to meet new people from different backgrounds from me.

JG: In a few years, I hope to be finishing up college and working towards my BSN. I hope to be working part time at a hospital close to school. A goal of mine is to set records at Ashland and to compete to the best of my ability.

RR: What will you miss the most about Solon Comets Track?

JG: I think the thing I will miss most about Solon track is my teammates. I’ve spent the last four years building unbreakable bonds with the people on my team.

JG: My favorite sports memory would be placing at regionals in our 2022 season to make it to states. My 4×1 team was so excited to have a shot at the state title.