Activities to do in Cleveland this summer

Sundial found at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens.

“Ferb, I know what we are going to do today!”This iconic catchphrase might have been true for Phineas and Ferb every day of summer, but it isn’t true for the ones among us who cannot create crazy mechanicals in our backyard.

To give you ideas on what to do this summer, I bring my recommendations containing a variety of activities according to your interests.

Cleveland Museum of Art’s Africa & Byzantium(April 14-July 21)
This exhibition showcases artworks of the African Christian kingdoms and the Byzantine Empire beginning from the fourth century. Many of these artworks have been imported from Africa, Europe and North America and have never been exhibited before. This exhibition is part of the Museum’s efforts to explore and showcase African art and culture, hence it’s a must-see for anyone interested in artifacts.

Cleveland Botanical Gardens’ Pollinator Express (May 25- September 8)
Who said that pollination needs to be a slow process? With speedy miniature trains all around the garden and larger than life sculptures depicting unique plants and their pollinators, this whimsical exhibition will keep you entertained while you explore the Botanical Garden.

The Museum of Illusions (Opening on June 1)
The Museum of Illusions contains room exhibits creating illusions related to science and psychology. Examples of exhibits include, the Walk-in Kaleidoscope, Vortex Tunnel and Infinity Room. The Museum will be located at 186 Euclid Avenue (The May Building).

Holden Arboretum’s Tails and Trails (June 7 , July 5, August 2)
Summer is not only a fun time for humans, but for pets too.  Holden Arboretum will host Tails and Trails, where the first 100 dogs to enter the place will get a HF&G logo bandana, enjoy treats, and meet other fellow pups.

Roll Hall of Fame’s Black Music Now- A Juneteenth Event (June 13)
Music has always been a big part of African American history, yet many times, African American musicians aren’t recognized. To define Rock ’n Roll and celebrate the variations of music produced by African American artists, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is celebrating Juneteenth (a celebration on June 19 to commemorate the ending of slavery) through a panel of Cleveland based artists who will analyze Rock as a genre and its alternatives. It also features live performances by UNIITY and Nox. And the best part? The admission is free.

Justin Timberlake’s The Forget Tomorrow World Tour concert (July 7)
Justin Timberlake is coming to Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse to promote his album “Everything I Thought It Was” which came out on March 15. The tickets went on sale on February 2, but you can still grab tickets here. After all, there haven’t been many celebrities coming to Cleveland.

2024 Pan-American Masters Games (PAMG) (July 12 – 21)
The PAMG games are like the Olympics for athletes over the age of 30. It features twenty six medal-contending sports, such as track and field, tennis, pickleball and cycling. It will feature more than 10,000 athletes from over 50 countries. It’s indeed a big event, and something to check out.

Blazing Paddles Paddlefest (June 21 -22)
The Sixth Annual Blazing Paddles Paddlefest celebrates the Cuyahoga River, providing paddlers options between taking a relaxing, 9.8 mile long journey that allows beautiful sightings, or participate in a race (3.2, 6.8 and 14.2 miles). Registrants will also enjoy six-hour long access to the river that morning.

There are many more fun filled events to do around Cleveland, but these are the ones I find the most interesting. Hopefully, this will help you know what to do this summer.