Basketball Preview

The Solon Boys Basketball team. Courtesy of Jewish News.

Nate Miller, Contributing Writer

The Solon Comets Boys Basketball team enters the 2018-2019 season coming off of the best season in Solon High School (SHS) history. The boys were conference champions, district champions, regional champions and were division one state runner ups.

This year’s varsity roster consists of: Mike Bekelja, Trent Williams, David Marbury, Nick Close, Brandon Brown, Khalil Jones, Marcus Steele, Davin Miller, Nihal Goli, Chad Marks, Ethan Pitzel, Noah Obert, Dylan Vauss, and Sam Marbury. 

Senior All-Conference guards Mike Bekelja and Trent Williams headline the tremendous amount of talent returning for the Comets. The Comets also bring back starters David Marbury and Nick Close who were also All-Conference selections a year ago.

Having been so close last year, the returning players will definitely help Solon down the stretch and into the playoffs. Williams, Marbury and Bekelja are four year varsity guys as well as Close, Steele and Brown returning from last year’s team.

Despite this haul of returning talent, it is going to be tough to replace All-Ohio point guard and Ohio Mr. Basketball finalist Sincere Carry.

“We have four returning varsity starters, so the plan is for us four to step up and help make everyone else better,” Williams said.

Last year, Trent Williams knocked down a whopping 109 shots from beyond the arc. A school single-season record. Known for his shooting, Williams said to expect a more aggressive style of play this season.

“Yes. very aggressive,” Williams said. “I’ll be more of a playmaker and getting other guys involved as well as myself. But the Trent Williams three ball will always be there.”

Bekelja added that the games he has circled on his calendar are against Saint Edwards (Eds) and Benedictine. The Comets sole loss in the regular season last year came against Eds, but this year, the Eagles travel to Solon for what should be an action packed game.

“Expect us to exceed expectation and surprise people just as we did last year,” Bekelja said.

When the Comets season gets underway, the starting lineup is looking to be Bekelja, Williams, Marbury, Close and sophomore Marcus Steele. In addition to these five, senior Khalil Jones will also be seeing some decent minutes this year. Brandon Brown, a player who saw good minutes last year as a junior, is currently sidelined with a knee injury.

The Comets enter the season as one of the top teams in the state in search of another deep playoff run. It’ll be fun to watch this team during the year.

“We need every game with packed stands to the top,” Brown said. I hope everyone is ready because it’s going to be exciting.”