Solon High School favorite writers

Some of the authors and the books they have written that are favorites of Solon high school students.

Ellis Smith, Social Media Manager

Graph of 103 SHS students favorite authors. 

Nov. 1 is National Author’s Day, a great time to get some new author and book recommendations from students and teachers at Solon High School. People form their opinions on which author they like best for a multitude of different reasons, some being because of the books being entertaining, nostalgic or how they take you into another world.

Junior Jaydyn Gaymon’s favorite author is Rick Riordan- most famously known for his “Percy Jackson” series “Magnus Chase” series and the “Kane Chronicles.” This is because of how entertaining his books are.

“His books are geared towards tweens and teens, and they’re very adventurous and fun to read,” Gaymon said. “He uses a lot of sarcasm and wit which makes it very engaging and entertaining.“

English teacher Mrs. Bush likes Toni Morrison because of her writing which is different from others and shows different subjects. On the other hand, she enjoys Green’s books because it’s so easy to fall into the worlds he creates.

People find new books to read in many different ways. Mrs. Bush, after many recommendations from students, decided to pick one of John Green’s up.

“The kids kept telling me to read his books, so, finally, I decided to pick one,” Mrs. Bush said. “‘The Fault in Our Stars’ is the first one I think I read of his, and I was hooked.” 

People also form their opinion on books by how they were introduced to them. Cecilia Fiocco, a freshman, has many favorite authors, though one of her most favorite is Veronica Roth.

“My 7th-grade year I read the first one, ‘Divergence’ and I loved it,” Fiocco said. “In the summer of eighth grade, I wanted to figure out what happened at the end, and I knew that there were other books so I decided to read them by myself, and that’s how I was introduced to her books“

There are thousands of authors in the world with thousands upon thousands of books written between them. It sometimes may seem like a challenge to find a new good book to read. So through the interview and the graph above, I hope you find a new author to enjoy and a good book to curl up with.