Courtesy of Jasmine Feng

Seniors Andi Kasper, Emily Hansen, Jasmine Feng and Lois Wu inside the gym

Homecoming: it’s about the company you keep

October 30, 2015

While some people look forward to the homecoming dance all year, others dread it and even decide that they would rather stay home. But why stay home alone on a night that you can be having fun with your friends?

At first I thought I was too old to go to homecoming anymore; I was tired of seeing the revealing dresses and the unbecoming dance moves. But I reluctantly decided that this was my last opportunity to experience homecoming. I walked into the dance, and immediately thought “why am I here?” I instantly felt old and out of place. The term “senior” was now making me feel like a senior citizen instead of an upperclassman. But avoiding the urge to run out of the school, I decided that if I tried to have a positive attitude, maybe it would end up being fun.  

The theme of this year’s homecoming was “Fire and Ice,” not exactly what you would have in mind when you think of possible homecoming themes. What does that even mean? While the lobby was decorated with red and silver balloons, the gym itself wasn’t decorated at all.

606 SHS students responded to a survey about their attendance and thoughts on homecoming. While 75 percent of freshman respondents attended the dance, 57 percent of sophomore respondents and 53 percent of junior respondents attended. As for the senior class…only 41 percent of respondents attended.

For a $15 fee, students were able to stand outside for a half hour waiting to get inside, drink water and dance. And that was all we could do. If “drinking water” at homecoming doesn’t appeal you, don’t worry it didn’t intrigue me either. The water station was crowded with sweaty teenagers and styrofoam cups thrown everywhere. For $15 dollars shouldn’t students at least get some pop? Or dare I say food? Maybe if students are asked to pay $5 more, the school will be able to provide food and drinks.

The lack of refreshments and activities was enough to convince some students not to go. I tried to ignore the lack of decorations, food and activities and instead focused on the fun part, the dance. The dance was filled with excitement and energy and I realized that regardless of the lack of activities provided at homecoming, it was still an enjoyable experience.

The student attendance at homecoming has been an average of 1,000 students each year, but surprisingly, the majority of students that go are underclassmen. 606 SHS students responded to a survey about their attendance and thoughts on homecoming. While 75 percent of freshman respondents attended the dance, 57 percent of sophomore respondents and 53 percent of junior respondents attended. As for the senior class…only 41 percent of respondents attended. As shown by the survey results, as students get older, they stop attending homecoming.

Bryan Park and Elsa Mabey in the lobby outside of the gym
Jasmine Feng

When the 59 percent of responding seniors were asked why they decided not to show, they said things like, “[I didn’t go] because it’s a bunch of underclassmen grinding, why would I go?” Other seniors said, “it’s not very fun, there’s not much to do,” and “all the other [homecomings in previous years] have been disappointing.” In regards to any school event, there will always be people who want to go, and those who don’t. As a senior, this is the last chance to experience a high school homecoming, and when a majority of seniors don’t want to go, something needs to change.

When asking juniors if they’re going to come back to homecoming next year, 21 percent of survey respondents claimed “maybe.” One junior student explained his reasoning by saying that it depended on whether or not his friends would attend. Although 51 percent of responding juniors claim to be going to next year’s dance, will they really all go if some of their friends decide not to go? If everyone does decide to go, will this decrease the 28 percent that already plan not to attend?

One action creates a domino effect.

Students Maddy Dunn and Kayla Bennett inside the gym.
Courtesy of Maddie Dunn

Any activity can instantly become more enjoyable when you have your friends, and people, surrounding you. It doesn’t matter what location or what activity, experiencing it with other people takes the event to the next level. Dancing by yourself isn’t necessarily the best activity, but when you add your best friends to the mix, that experience goes from boring to amazing. If dancing isn’t your forte, there are plenty of other ways to make homecoming awesome. This year senior boys decided to branch out on the typical homecoming attire and wore crazy suits. Instead of the normal black pants and grey shirts, one boy wore a red suit with white hearts, and another wore an American flag suit. I’m not trying to say that in order to have fun at homecoming you need to carry on this tradition and dress crazy, but you can make homecoming enjoyable by starting new traditions.

At my senior homecoming, I changed my attitude; I ignored the fact that more than half of my senior class, and my own friends, didn’t attend, and still had a fun night. If the rest of the students give homecoming a chance, based on their own opinion and not their friends’, maybe more people will attend homecoming and it will be a better dance.

I agree that some parts of homecoming aren’t ideal; they should have more things to do, such as a photo booth, or make a unique theme and ask people to dress to it. For example, ask everyone to wear white and have a blacklight or a wear black and give everyone glow necklaces. If new ideas are presented at next year’s homecoming, it can be taken to the extra degree and inspire more students to attend this dance.

Next year go to homecoming and bring your friends with you, even if nothing is changed or added to the dance, you can still have an amazing night with your friends.

The SHS Courier • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The SHS Courier Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *