Comets Fighting Cancer recently teamed up with the basketball team to raise money. Photo by Alex Jackson

Comets Fighting Cancer connects with basketball teams to raise awareness

February 1, 2016

Solon High School’s Comets Fighting Cancer club linked up with the boys and girls basketball teams to raise money and awareness for cancer from Jan. 14-22. Students and staff who bought t-shirts from the club last week were given free admission to the games this past weekend.

On Friday, Jan. 22, the Solon Boy’s Basketball team lost on a buzzer beater to the Medina Bees, 60-58. The following day, however, the Lady Comets defeated the Bees 55-38.

At those basketball games, t-shirts and raffle tickets were sold and donation buckets were passed around the crowd as a part of the fundraiser.

According to club advisor and SHS math teacher Sarah Miller (formerly Ms. Kutschinski), Comets Fighting Cancer raised nearly $700 to be donated to cancer just last week.

Miller also added that the club creates an environment in which people who are passionate about cancer can get together and fight for a cause through raising awareness and fundraising.

“I couldn’t name one person who isn’t strongly affected by cancer one way or another, so it’s really nice to get to help students go after a passion of theirs,” Miller said.

Miller said that she enjoys working with students in an out-of-classroom setting.

“I love being involved with students outside of the classroom,” Miller said. “It gives me a really good opportunity to know students in more of a leadership position and allow them to pursue what they really care about.”

One active club member who has been affected by cancer is Jenna Sparano. Sparano serves as the club’s Vice President.

“I have watched a lot of loved ones suffer through cancer, including my dad, and I always wished there was something more I could do,” Sparano said. “By being an active member of Comets Fighting Cancer, I feel like I am making a difference in helping cancer patients and making strides towards a world without cancer.”

Another club member, Secretary Madison Chaitoff, was simply motivated to become active by wanting to make a difference.

“Comets Fighting Cancer has a great objective which is to raise money for the American Cancer Society and I wanted to help make a difference in patients’ and survivors’ lives,” Chaitoff said. “I love being part of a group where everyone involved has such a kind heart to help find a cure and take down this disease.”

Comets Fighting Cancer club was previously known as Relay For Life club, but changed its name to include all cancer awareness events during the year. Along with Comets Fighting Cancer and Relay For Life, other events include Hoops for Hope, Relay Recess and chocolate sales throughout the school year.

“We do like to hook up with the basketball teams as they do a great job of supporting us and our cause,” Miller said. “[Mark] McGuire and the athletic department do a great job of supporting us.”

The SHS Courier • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The SHS Courier Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *