Kelsey Cohen’s senior volleyball season

Kelsey Cohen sits down with reporter Nicole Bederman for an interview on her senior volleyball season

Nicole Bederman

Nicole Bederman, Contributing Writer

Kelsey Cohen, captain of the varsity volleyball team, is starting her senior season as libero. Cohen takes her high school volleyball career very seriously, giving up her social life in the fall, she trains everyday to do the best she possibly can. As she prepares for the season, she looks back on her childhood.

Q: How long have you been playing volleyball?               

A: I have been playing since 6th grade.

Q: Where did you start playing?

A: Solon Recreation team.

Q: What motivates you when you play volleyball?

A: Well this year me being in a leadership position motivates me to be a role model on the team. But in past years being varsity libero was a big achievement of mine. I always like to try really hard.

Q: Who inspired you to play volleyball?

A: Well not really anyone specific, but all my friends were really tall and they all played volleyball. I kind of just did it because they did it.

Q: Has volleyball ever interfered with any activities you did?

A: Yeah, it’s really hard to build a good social life and keep up with school during the season. When I had games I would come home at 11 p.m., and it’s really hard because I am tired. It’s really worth it though.

Q: Why did you choose to play in high school?

A: That was the sport I was best at because I played a lot of sports, and it was what I did best.

For now, Cohen is excited to see what the rest of the season has to offer, she hypes up her teammates and is learning everyday what she can do better to contribute to the team as varsity captain. Catch Cohen and the rest of the volleyball team playing Strongsville tonight at 6:30 p.m. at SHS.