A look into the English Language Support class

Eastmans ELL classroom.
Eastman’s ELL classroom.

When students walk into classroom 114, they are greeted by posters, inspirational quotes and colorful drawings. Books and flags from other countries line the walls and fall decor is scattered throughout the room. Lamps and other knick knacks reside on the peripherals of the space.

The English Language support class (formerly known as ESL or English as a Second Language) provides students with a safe and comfortable place to learn and grow, according to English Language teacher Judy Eastman. Eastman provides students who move to Solon from other countries with the support they need to learn the English Language.

“My class is like a support class, so anything the students need help with in their other subjects or even if it’s just myself giving them mini-lessons in writing or reading,” Eastman said. “They aren’t worried about making a grade in my class. They are just here to ask questions and to grow.”

Jinbao Wu, a student of Eastman and a senior at SHS, feels that she has grown a lot because of the class and Solon’s community.

“The students and teachers are really nice and friendly,” Wu said. “They helped me a lot when I first came here. Solon High School is really nice, not hard anymore.”

Wu moved to Solon two years ago from Hong Kong along with her family. According to Wu, she struggled greatly because of the differences between Hong Kong and America.

“I was excited at first, but I felt kind of bad,” Wu said. “I couldn’t speak well, eat American food well, or sleep because of the time (difference). But I knew I would improve, so I tried not to stress.”

A board in Eastman's classroom that says "Hello!" in different languages.According to Eastman, many students, Wu included, speak very little English upon arriving in the US.

“I teach them how to speak and understand survival words and phrases first, through pictures,” Eastman said. “I show more than tell.

“Students receive extended time on all assignments and tests. They are allowed to always use their phones for Google Translate if needed.”

Eastman teaches 28 different students from 14 different countries. All at different English speaking, reading and writing levels.

“It is like a family here—I teach mini-lessons at different levels at times and everyone helps each other when the new students who lack English skills come in,” Eastman said. “Sometimes we have five different activities going on at one time. It is a juggling act!”

One of Eastman’s favorite parts about teaching the English Language Support class is working with kids from varying backgrounds.

“I just love working with kids from other cultures and blending those cultures,” Eastman said. “They have become friends across so many countries. It doesn’t really matter where you are from, it’s what you bring with you.”

But, Eastman’s main goal is not to teach her students to become proficient English speakers in just a year or two. Instead, it is to see progression. She wants to make sure that each student receives the support they need to “blossom.”

“I just want to make sure that I always see some growth in the student,” Eastman said. “And I wanna make sure that they feel safe here. It’s a big transition to come from another country and find that trust and safety.”

Another student of Eastman, Alice Rudenko, a SHS senior and Ukrainian immigrant, feels like both the English Language Support class and Solon High School community have prepared her for the future.

“I noticed that teachers here are really nice to you, they are interested in helping you so that you understand what you are studying,” Rudenko said. “Here the system of education is much better, I feel really nice here, I feel like my future is in my hands.”