The student news site of Solon High School

The SHS Courier

The SHS Courier

The SHS Courier

Join the Courier Mailing List
Get the latest updates delivered directly to your inbox.
We respect your privacy.

SHS’s performance of “The Play That Goes Wrong”…went right!

SHS Drama Club poster courtesy of the Mischief Theatre Company.

On the evening of Nov 15, 2023, I pulled out my phone to purchase the $10 ticket of “The Play That Goes Wrong.” I had high expectations for this play. Last year, I viewed the well renowned show “Radium Girls” in which I appreciated the dedication the actors the SHS Drama Club displayed. They did an excellent job informing the audience on the horrors that the female factory workers endured when worked. So, I was expecting this play to meet the same standards as “Radium Girls” did previously.

I dressed up in a nice outfit, picked up a friend along the way, and headed to the high school.

Before the play even started, actors began to engage with the audience, acting as though they were in chaos, trying to find certain parts of the set or losing the ‘dog’ that’s supposed to be a part of the play. I thought that this was a clever way of enticing the audience and making them feel included in the production.

The actors were dressed in 1920’s clothing talking in a heavy British accent with an old money feel. The performers also moved and acted animated, as if they were cartoon characters. This just made it more interesting and captivating.

SHS Drama Club’s “The Play That Goes Wrong” is written by Henry Lewis, Jonathan Sayer and Henry Shields of Mischief Theatre Company. This play is a comedic show about a lady who wishes to put on the best murder mystery play. This play is titled “The Murder at Haversham Manor.”

But, throughout the play, mistakes are made. Props are dropped. And the audience was in hysterics, especially the children who were screeching with laughter after one performer’s pants were ripped off their legs.

It was as if I was in the middle of their rehearsal practices, but with absurdity and irony. They had props held by the entertainers, the ‘crew man’ constantly making mistakes with the sound and lighting changes and many other comedic elements.

The added drama in the storyline also made the show 10 times more interesting. I personally loved the fight over who played one of the characters Florence Colleymoore between Cori Arnopolin and Ashlyn Fitzgerald.

So, what did I love the most? Obviously, the humor. This play was hysterical. The way that they made the play enjoyable for all ages, allowing everyone to share a common laugh about the many ‘flaws’ created was impressive.

I enjoyed all the little mishaps that tied the play together, especially the Duran Duran cd!

This was a must watch. And if you missed it, well, I feel sorry for you.

Make sure to stay tuned in with the SHS Drama Page and check out the spring musical.