Taylor Swift has made her mark on the NFL, and it’s excellent

For years, football and pop music have been an integral part of American culture. Until recently, the two hadn’t had much in common. That was until the Kansas City Chiefs tight-end Travis Kelce and world phenomenon Taylor Swift started dating. Since the start of their relationship, Swift has been seen at various games, and some fans find it annoying.

Many watchers have complained that Swift has received too much screen time and publicity when attending the games. So much so that The New York Times calculated the actual duration of her screen time, averaging a whopping 25 seconds. All generally before the games when Swift arrives as they do with other celebrities in attendance, and other times after Kelce has made an effective play in the game.

This proves that viewers complaining about Swift and her relations to the NFL don’t really have much ground to stand on. Although it can be aggravating when there are changes in a tradition that has been predictable for years, there are also some significant benefits to changes.

Swift has made a notable change for the NFL in terms of surges in viewership along with jersey sales. Following Swift’s first appearance, jersey sales spiked 400%, making Kelce the top five NFL player in jersey sales following her first appearance at his game.

On Oct. 2, the Chiefs vs. Jets game was the most viewed game since the prior Super Bowl, gaining 29 million viewers. There has also been a 53% increase in girls ages 12-17 watching football since Swift began attending the games.

Regardless of being a fan of Swift, football fans should be satisfied that an already popular sport just got that much bigger. Unfortunately for those who this deeply bothers, broadcasters will not pass up this opportunity to lean into two huge fan bases and share their love with the world.

Later, when Kelce was spotted at Swift’s infamous Eras tour, he was automatically welcomed with support and love from fans. When Swift attends, media outlets are baffled when she cheers after Kelce (her boyfriend) has scored a touchdown (the horror!).

This outrage feels rooted in a deeper problem of misogyny. A successful woman goes to support her boyfriend, and words like “attention seeker,” “b*tch,” and “annoying,” floating around. When Kelce supports Swift in her career, words like “gentleman, “charming,” and “respectful float around. Not to say that Kelce isn’t any of those things. But why is it acceptable for him and unacceptable for her? Especially when it has been normalized for years to show any celebrities in attendance, especially A-listers.

Overall, Swift has unquestionably impacted the NFL from not only a business standpoint but a fan standpoint as well. So, regardless of anyone’s affiliation with Swift, the numbers will confirm that Taylor Swift is not quote-on-quote ruining the NFL.

This upcoming Superbowl, Swift is rumored to be in attendance as the Chiefs take on the 49s, and fans, along with myself, are excited to see Swift in her classic suit with the Kelce family. I’m hoping for a win to get all the after-game content.