Valentine’s Day is for everyone

Valentines Day clothing
Valentine’s Day clothing

Valentine’s Day is some people’s least favorite holiday. That is because it is a couple’s holiday to most, but that isn’t entirely true. The history of Valentine’s Day is rich and surprisingly dark but has evolved into a cheery and love driven celebration.

Most people tend to not love Valentine’s day if they don’t have a significant other to spend it with. And some people even think it isn’t a real holiday and just made up for couples. Actually, Valentine’s Day has a rich dark history that if people knew about it, maybe Valentine’s Day would get more credit.
Some experts believe Valentine’s Day is a twist on the Pagan holiday Lupercalia, which was an ancient Roman festival. Lupercalia is believed to be based on a story where, in the end, a she-wolf saves two babies from a river. So it is believed that Lupercalia was a holiday to honor the she-wolf and please the Roman fertility god, Lupercus. Lupercalia was a Roman festival which started with animal sacrifice and a bloody ritual. After that came a feast, then men would run naked around town with goat hide whips, slashing any woman the men could find.

Some people think that St. Valentine was a priest who married people in secret. He went against Emperor Claudius’s rule that young men couldn’t get married because they make better soldiers than single men. Claudius found out and became so angry that he forced Valentine to convert to Catholic. Valentine refused, and Claudius ordered him killed. Later on, the Catholic church named him a saint and listed him as being killed on Feb. 14. So, possibly Valentine’s Day is to honor him.

Then, over the years, the holiday evolved to be a little more tame each year. Eventually it turned into a loving holiday then even catered towards kids. Valentine’s Day is now seen as a couples holiday for dates and love.

Valentine’s day has now grown into a holiday where you can celebrate love for anyone. Kids have parties in school, parents buy chocolate in heart shaped boxes for their children and girl friends have Galentine’s day dinners.

Many people prefer to spend it alone. Watch romantic movies, take relaxing self-care baths or buy themselves roses and chocolate heart boxes. Valentine’s Day can be anything for anyone, I don’t believe it is about one thing. It can be interpreted however people want.

I personally love Valentine’s day because of the memories I created as a child. In school, we used to make Valentines for everybody in our class. We would make colorful themed “mailboxes” which were just decorated shoe boxes for everyone to put your Valentines in.

Valentine’s Day candy.

The colors and decorations are just as fun too. Pink, red and purple plus the hearts are some of my favorite colors and patterns and make for such cute Valentines themed outfits and decorations.

In my opinion, Valentine’s Day candy is the best holiday candy. Since the classic colors are red and pink, many flavors are cherry and strawberry, which are the elite candy flavors. Plus the typical gift for your loved one is flowers and chocolate, which just about anyone would love.

In reality, Valentine’s Day is for anyone. You can celebrate love for anyone, yourself, your significant other, a friend or even a family member. Valentine’s day shouldn’t have a stigma around it. It’s a fun and joyful holiday packed with history.