Visit the Black History Month decorations around SHS before it’s too late

A Black History Month poster by the cafeteria.

Black History Month was created in the early 1900’s by an African American scholar and activist named Carter G. Woodson. He thought Black History was an important topic to be celebrated because many people did not recognize the historical contributions of African-Americans. President Gerald R. Ford officially declared Black History Month a national holiday in 1976 “to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of Black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.”

Solon High School’s Student Council and African American Culture Club collaborated this February to put up vibrant Black History Month decorations around the building — specifically by the Bookstore and Comet Alley.

Last year was the first time that African American Culture Club and Student Council decorated for Black History Month. Aaron Jeter, the Sociology, World History and African American History teacher and the advisor of African American Culture Club, knows that these decorations are beneficial.

“I’m really proud that African American Culture Club and Student Council started this tradition,” Jeter said. “I hope this continues the remainder of my years and the years to come. I think it’s important for students to look at history in between classes and maybe after school. Sometimes education can be [as simple as reading] quotes on a wall.”

Praise Fujamade, a Co-President of Student Council, believes that these decorations are beneficial and empowering to the black community at Solon.

“With Black History Month in particular, [Student Council] wanted to give the Black community a sense of involvement and acknowledgement,” Fujamade said. “The [decorations] are very visual, and when everyone sees the decorations and can openly acknowledge that it’s Black History Month, it gives the black community a sense of recognition.”

Compared to other public schools in Ohio, SHS is ranked 104 out of 924 for diversity, this is the top 11% in the state. Jada Andrews, the President of African-American Culture Club, believes that minority representation at Solon is still vital, despite a diverse student population.

“Obviously Solon is very diverse, but there are often times where you are the only black person in your class,” Andrews said. “You can feel really sheltered because you don’t really relate to anyone. I think it’s really important to celebrate Black History Month for the African American part of the student body to feel seen and acknowledged.”

Jeter knows the impact that history can have on individuals, and he believes that Black History Month can be helpful to the members of the African American community.

“History, like so many other things, gives people a sense of pride, pride in their own family and cultural past,” Jeter said. “Carter G. Woodson started this month because he felt that there was not enough positive history talked about at the turn of the century. When people have a strong foundation of the accomplishments of their ancestors, it can help them move forward.”

All this in mind, Black History Month was created to be a positive holiday, where people celebrate the accomplishments of those that came before them, and relate to one another on a deeper level. Andrews emphasizes how Black History Month can form connections within the black community at SHS.

“We see you, we know your experiences, we’re experiencing them too,” Andrews said.

Check out the video of the decorations below.