Solon Prom says bye bye to Bertram, and hello to Marriott

Photo courtesy of Diamond Davis pictured with Dionna Henderson at Solon’s 2023 Prom.

As Solon High School’s school year comes to an end, prom season is rapidly approaching. In past years, the prom was held in Signature of Solon, a popular destination often appreciated for its scenery during prom and homecoming. This year, though, the prom location has been moved to the The Cleveland Marriott East in Warrensville Heights. Questions surfaced of why Solon High School has decided to host in another city and how this switch will impact the experience.

Prom Committee Advisor and Counselor Cynthia Russell said that it was hard work to produce a lively night for Solon’s students last year. She noted a couple of key reasons for the location change.

“The date we wanted for the prom was not available at Signature of Solon,” Russell said. “We always have the prom the Saturday after AP tests are finished, and the AP schedule was pushed back a week…[also] we considered moving it from the beginning because of the… lack of organization at Signature and the cost of food.”

Current senior, Diamond Davis, attended prom as a junior last year. Davis said the overall experience was great, but has shared some new hopes for the highly anticipated event.

“I enjoyed my time there,” Davis said. “I didn’t like the food, though. The music voices were okay…I felt like it was really small though…everybody was cramped… and not enough food.”

According to Russell, at the new prom location, problems with space will not be a concern and overall, the feedback was mostly positive from the students. She is adamant about producing a great experience for the student body and emphasizes the benefits of the location change. With more space and less expensive costs, students are promised a more enjoyable experience.
That being said, Kiauna Watford, a senior, enjoyed her experience last year.

Photo courtesy of Kiauna Watford, pictured with Xavier Smith.

“Prom was definitely an experience,” Watford said. “I enjoyed screaming at the top of my lungs and dancing around with some of my closest friends.”

Some students are still expecting to use Signature for photo opportunities prior, unless told otherwise. Davis said that her original schedule will be altered due to some traffic concerns.

“[Everything would probably be] earlier than usual,” says Davis, “…Since it’s in [Warrensville Heights], [you have to] get on the highway with a bunch of other Solon kids.”

According to Russell, there is no guarantee this change will be permanent. The prom is scheduled for May 18 at 7 p.m. at the Cleveland Marriott East Hotel, 26300 Harvard Road, Warrensville Heights. The theme is 24 karat.

“The people [the venue] explained to us they are in the business of creating banquets and doing weddings…they are not worrying about trying to run…the things associated with a country club,” said Russell, “They’re pretty much in the business of putting on parties, so we’re hopeful.”