SHS music hopeful for successful fundraisers

Courtesy of Klein Photography

Senior and MIM president Emily McCulley performing at a past Cabaret Night.

Madison McGirr, Web Editor

Solon’s music program will be holding events on Saturday, Sept. 16 in order to raise money for their respective organizations and to fund upcoming functions.

Firstly, Solon High School’s band, orchestra and Starlettes will be going from house to house  from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. to ask for donations. The fundraiser is known as Tag Day because students hand out tags containing information about this year’s concerts.

“If [community members] don’t want to donate they don’t have to, but either way they get a tag with all of our concert dates on it so they can come and support the program,” said Edward Kline, SHS band director. “[Donations] help buy uniforms, instruments, music purchases and anything we have to do to make the band successful.”

In the past, Tag Day has raised up to $25,000 in donations from community members. SHS senior and band president Emily Ho stressed the significance of Tag Day by highlighting how vital the community’s backing is.

“Tag Day is so important for our music program because it builds an amazing foundation every year to keep our program running,” Ho said. “We are extremely fortunate to have people who support and believe in us, and we greatly appreciate every donation received.”

In addition, Tag Day holds personal sentiment for Ho since it allows her to pursue her musical passion.

“Tag Day allows me to continue to do something I love so dearly, which is, of course, playing music,” she said. “We are so lucky to have amazing directors and musicians in both of our groups, and, without funding, we wouldn’t be able to do what we love.”

In the evening, Music In Motion, Solon’s show choir, will be hosting Cabaret Night. Doors open at 6 p.m. for the silent auction and the show begins at 7 p.m. Dress circle tickets are $18 while upper circle tickets are $12. Cabaret Night showcases singing, dancing and even skits from members of MIM.

“It’s a display of the individual talent of each fantastic member in this phenomenal group,” said Giovanni Castiglione, a singer/dancer in MIM. “It allows for people in this group to show their true colors, regardless of being a singer/dancer, a crew member, or a band member.”

Cabaret Night not only displays talent of the show choir, but raises money for competitions and uniforms. SHS senior and MIM president Emily McCulley emphasizes that it’s a family friendly event.

“Cabaret Night is always such a well-run and fun event, we have awesome prizes and three acts of amazing performances,” McCulley said. “The bidding for the silent auction is online this year rather than pen and paper, so come with phones ready.”

These events are important to both programs and no one experiences that more than seniors Derek Walton and Sahiti Tamirsakandala, who are participating in both Cabaret Night and Tag Day. As Vice President of Music in Motion and a squad leader in band, Walton  has seen firsthand from both events how significant of an impact they can make in not only a financial aspect, but an emotional one too.

“My fondest memory of Cabaret Night was being blown away by the amazing acts there were,” Walton said. “Most notably, Bridget and Norm Miozzi’s rendition of “Hit the Road Jack” was phenomenal. My fondest memory of Tag Day is doing the band dance for $20.”

Tamirsakandala, who is the band lead in MIM and drumline section leader, agreed with Walton, even citing Tag Day as one of her favorite extra-curricular events each year.

“Tag Day in general has always been a fun time for me since I have always been paired with my closest friends,” Tamirsakandala said. “You just stroll around a neighborhood in your band uniform, cracking some jokes and being goofy as all friends are. Then, you go back to the band room for some free pizza and snacks.”

In the end, Kline summed it up best for both organizations who are hopeful for prosperous fundraiser.

“It’s a lot of work, and we have parents who work tirelessly on it to make it happen,” Kline said. “The benefits far outweigh the headaches that are created. It simply allows us to do what we need to in order to be successful and to put on a show.”