Want to talk gun control? Use this letter.

Courtesy of WorldSiteGuides on YouTube

Don’t wait: send this letter to your representative.

Megan Lebowitz, Contributing Writer

In the wake of the most recent school shooting, I urge everyone to ask their congressional representatives to create or support gun control legislation. Simply fill in the blanks, select underlined options and send the message using the information below. Help make a difference. Our voices matter.

Ohio’s senators:

• Sherrod Brown (D)

https://www.brown.senate.gov/contact/email

• Rob Portman (R)

NRA gave Portman over 3,000,000 dollars in funds

https://www.portman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form

1240 East 9th Street

Room 3061

Cleveland, OH 44199

Phone: 216-522-7095

Solon’s Congressman in the House of Representatives (District 14)

• David Joyce (R)

https://joyce.house.gov/email-me/

Twinsburg Gov. Center

10075 Ravenna Road

Twinsburg, OH 44087

Phone: (330) 357-4139

Twinsburg Office

Dear _______,

I am writing to urge you to pass gun control legislation. Mass shootings are becoming _______. Within the past few years Americans witnessed some of the deadliest mass shootings in our country’s history, including the Las Vegas shooting (58 dead), the Orlando Pulse shooting (49 dead), and just weeks ago, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting (17 dead). According to EveryTown, there have been 290 shootings at school since 2013, ranging from accidental firings to premeditated massacres. Of these 290 shootings, 63 were attacks on teachers or students and resulted in at least one death or injury. The number of innocent people killed in mass shootings is rising. Isn’t it time to pass gun control laws? Or are these victims just numbers? Statistics that are forgotten by the next time another mass shooting inevitably rolls around?

According to the University of Alabama’s Criminal Justice Professor Adam Lankford, from 1966 to 2012 the United States had 90 public mass shooters, five times as many as the country with the second highest number of mass shooters. The U.S. population only accounts for approximately 4.5 percent of the world’s population. This disproportion demonstrates that there is a deep, but fixable, problem that plagues America.

As a [parent/teacher/student/decent human], I feel _______ [sending my child/going/watching children go] to school everyday. A school should be a safe place. No student or teacher should have to worry that he or she will not make it through the school day.

Most students are not old enough to vote. [We/They] rely on adults to pass laws that ensure their safety. Lawmakers have a responsibility to serve the interests of all constituents, even those not yet old enough to vote.

I am _______ you to pass gun control laws. Keep students safe at school. Do not wait until the next shooting takes [my children’s lives/my students’ lives/my life]. Death can be prevented with reasonable legislation.

Sincerely,

[Insert your name]