“On My Block” season two, my new go to

Photo courtesy of “Seventeen” magazine.

Nya Perry, Contributing Writer

It’s no secret that Netflix Originals have made their way to the top of almost everyone’s viewer list with shows such as “Stranger Things,” “Big Mouth” and “Orange is the New Black.”  It’s no different with “On My Block.” The first season of “On My Block” ended with a cliffhanger that made everyone watching it want to throw their computers out the window (Or maybe that was just me).

The show returned on March 29, 2019, at 3:00 a.m. Eastern. Was I the only one up at 3 a.m. waiting for the show? You probably answered no to that question just like each and every one of my friends, and if not, you should have been.

In the last episode of season one things seem to start off in a good place. Ruby (Jason Genao) and Olivia (Ronni Hawk) start to realize the feelings they have for each other, Jamal (Brett Gray) had officially found the made-up Roller World money, and Monse (Sierra Capri) and Cesar (Diego Tinoco) made their relationship official. But towards the end, things took a turn. We were left at the end of the episode at Olivia’s Quince with the biggest cliffhanger of all time. Ruby and Olivia were both hit with a bullet by Latrelle (Jahking Guillory) and we’re left by ourselves to decide who, if anyone, has been killed.

This season focuses on the four friends, Ruby, Jamal, Cesar and Monse dealing with problems that were caused by the events of last season. The beginning of the series is a one month jump after the shooting. Cesar is homeless, Ruby is dealing with his   experience, Monse is still looking for her mother and Jamal…well..he’s got a whole lot of money and has no idea what to do with it.

The cast did a really superb job of getting into character even though everyone is 19+ years old and playing fourteen-year-olds in their freshman year of high school. Ruby this season is reeling after being shot only a month before. He has lost someone dear to him and is falling into a deep depression. Genao really captured not only my attention with his acting skills but also my emotions. Being able to make me laugh but also while making me tear up is a great skill.

Another person whose character stood out to me was Jessica Garcia who played Jasmin. She played the role of a close family friend to Ruby’s parents but also the role of someone who always wanted to be in the main foursome. Garcia last season did not have a very prominent role in the show and only showed up in situations as comedic relief during certain times. This season she not only provided comic relief at times, but we also met a more emotional and in-depth side to her that led me to pay a lot more attention to her than I previously did.

One last actor that I really liked last season but took an even more liking to was Jamal. Jamal, to me, last season was a very important character, but I did not pay him as much attention as I did Ruby or Cesar for the sole fact that he didn’t have as many ups and downs throughout the season. This season he seemed to have brought a smile to my face every time he spoke. Like Jasmin, he was a big source of why the show had me laughing 24/7. After doing research on a lot of the characters and the show, I realized that not only was the script written in a comedic way Brett Gray himself was very similar to his character of Jamal in his comedic ways.

Yes, the actors and the script made me continue the show, but the soundtrack to the series caught my attention as well. Not only because of the use of music made by English singing artists like Dej Loaf, Brock Hampton and Khalid. The soundtrack also consisted of a lot of music by some Latino artists. One of the songs that received a lot of praise on social media was Neat by Q Money. He received a lot of attention because he is a Cleveland Native. The music supervisors Ben Hochstein and Jamie Dooneras did a good job using a mixture of upbeat songs while also using sad heart-wrenching ballads to help you understand even more the emotions happening through each scene.

The show also tackles a lot of stereotypes while still being comedic. The setting of the story takes place in the inner city of Los Angeles. Because the city the group of four live in is separated into different parts by gangs, violence is ultimately a big part of the show. Cesar especially, because he is deeper in the gang violence than the others because his brother is the leader of the gang. A lot of the destruction, deaths and the people the main characters encounter are usually normal for them because of the city they live in.

The only fault of the show is that they make light about some of the very serious situations happening within the show. Because the show has so much comedy it is hard to focus on the circumstances of what caused all these bad things to happen within the show. Being homeless,   through a loss and being banished from your entire family because you didn’t go through with shooting someone are some of the main things the cast go through.

The series is only 10 episodes, but the series did an absolutely fantastic job of fitting laughs, cries, fights, drama and everything in between a 30-minute episode. In my opinion, the show was one of my favorite Netflix Originals. The series ends with yet another cliffhanger that points directly to a season three. I cannot wait to see what new adventures and drama the show has in store.