Get to know the 2022-2023 Spirit Girls

Picture of the Spirit Boys and Spirit Girls: Zachary Rosen, Evan Bell, Jordan Chaitoff, Aiden FitzGerald and Malakhi Sharpley, Lindsay Lebowitz, Sari Zager, Lanie Wasosky, Izzy Robinson and Reilly Roth.

Reilly Roth, Staff Writer

If you go to Solon High School (SHS), you know all about the Spirit Boys. The Spirit Boys have been around for years and are used to creating a spirited and supported community during athletic games and events. But, have you ever heard of the Spirit Girls? The Spirit Girls started two years ago and are a new addition to the exemplary group of Solon High Schools (SHS) school pride. They include myself, Izzy Robinson, Lanie Wasosky, Sari Zager, and Lindsay Lebowitz. Robinson tells us about what it’s like to be a Spirit Girl.

Q: Why do you think you were picked as a Spirit Girl?

A: I think my qualities of being an outgoing person made me a great candidate for the spirit girl position. As an attendant in almost every football game last year, it showed my dedication. I also think my personality helps because I am not afraid to get loud and show some spirit in front of students and the school. Expressive and dedicated people are what is needed in a spirit squad member, and I believe I exemplify that.

Q: What are some things you do as a Spirit Girl?

A: As a spirit girl we attend home and away student athletic events. Fall sports like football, soccer and tennis. Winter sports like basketball and hockey. And in the spring lacrosse and track. As well as lots of other sports and student pep rally events. We come to support our student athletes and hype up the student section.

Q: What is your favorite Solon sport to support?

A: Personally, I love the football games because the stands are packed, and it’s always a fun time no matter what the score is. I look forward to school starting every year because of the fall sports which means football season. Because it is so popular, a lot of people come to support and it makes my job as a spirit girl more fun because we get to lead a big crowd.

Q: As a Spirit Girl, you are an example to the student body of what school spirit is, why is school spirit so important?

A: School spirit is what brings us together– not just as a city but as a community. When everyone comes together to support one another, it’s encouraging and brings a contagious energy to everyone around us. Without school spirit, people would view school as boring and useless, so by making it fun everyone can become a little happier about coming to school events.

Q: With having Spirit Boys for so long, do you feel that having Spirit Girls creates a new sense of equality?

A: Yes definitely. Although equality is still a working progress, I think spirit girls were a great addition to the spirit team and inclusivity which is already so important to Solon. Especially in today’s age, it is important to expand traditional male roles to females as well. I think spirit girls encourage other females to be loud and show their school spirit without feeling judged or embarrassed.

Q: How will you choose the next Spirit Girl?

A: It’s going to be a tough decision, but I think I will consider the juniors that I felt were the most spirited at sporting events and who participated the most. Mostly, I will think about who stands out in the crowd and has the potential to bring great energy in the student sections next year.

Below is more information from Senior Spirit Girl Lanie Wasosky.