Solon Swimming and Diving team springs into success at OHSAA State Championship

From left to right, diver Dominic Roberto, Diving Coach Taylor Epstein and diver Mitchell Caldwell  at the OHSAA state championship. Photo   courtesy of Dominic Roberto.

From left to right, diver Dominic Roberto, Diving Coach Taylor Epstein and diver Mitchell Caldwell at the OHSAA state championship. Photo courtesy of Dominic Roberto.

Kassidy Samuelraj, Staff Writer

Solon High School’s swimming and diving team went to the Greater Cleveland Conference (GCC) Championship meet on Feb. 21 at Canton McKinley High School. The men’s swimming team placed 13 overall in states while the women’s swimming team placed 30 overall in states.

SHS head varsity swimming and diving coach David Perchinske completed his sixth year as the head coach of the team. Perchinske has been preparing the teams for states since late October of 2022.

“The teams prepare by participating in an extensive and rigorous training program that consists of swimming, diving, lifting, yoga, and dryland,” Perchinske said.

SHS freshman Mitchell Caldwell took fourth place in states for the men’s diving team.

“I’ve been battling with a back injury, so to be out even competing was really nice,” Caldwell said. “It’s always intimidating to go as your first year and not really know where you rank. So I really didn’t have many expectations, so getting fourth was really crazy.”

SHS junior Dominic Roberto placed first in the state for men’s diving for the third year in a row, being the first to accomplish this in SHS history.

“There were a lot of things that helped make me successful,” Roberto said. “Lots of stretching, lifting, meditation, but in the end I couldn’t have done it without the support that I have.”

Roberto is one of three divers in Ohio High School history to be state champion three years in a row.

“The people I have behind me; my family, teammates, coaches, friends, are the reason I am where I am today,” Roberto said. “Without them, none of this would have been possible.”

Perchinke and his teams claimed to have been grateful for the opportunity to go to one of the best high school state meets in the country.

“Attending the state meet is both exciting and a bit overwhelming,” Perchinske said. “The swimmers and divers felt honored to represent themselves, their team, and their school.”