Not enough likes

Image made by Kayleigh Sell

Kayleigh Sell, News and Review Editor

Social media is a staple in American teenagers’ lives. Most of our free time is spent using some type of social media platform. Social media has put on the mask of making us more social, but is it actually making us less interactive with each other? Human interaction is a necessity of life, which is part of the reason so many people put up with social media, even though it can negatively affect their mental health

“I believe that it is not social media in of itself that is stressful, but when youth or adults do not find the balance,” said Solon High School (SHS) counselor and social worker, Jodi Lurie. “The necessary and healthy balance comes from both the recognition that not all we see on social media is accurate or the complete story along with balancing the amount of time spent on social media.”

A survey taken by 83 SHS students resulted in 51.8% of students finding that social media causes them more stress in their lives than needed. 73.5% of students find themselves needing to take a break from social media. These questions were asked to access how social media can affect the lives of teenagers. Out of the 83 students who took the survey, 25.3% said that Instagram was their most used social media. Instagram is one of the most controversial platforms, due to the fact that many people see themselves as less than they are, because they see others living “perfect” lives. 

Sarah Stanton, a junior at Solon High School, weighs in on the issue.

“Though many people fail to admit it, social media isn’t just about enjoying the app you are on anymore. It’s all about social status.

When you post a picture on Instagram, anxiety is raised and you begin to worry about how many likes or shares or comments you’re going to get. Simply posting a picture or updating your status, isn’t for fun, it’s for social status. It can also cause many negative feelings such as jealousy, anger, sadness and loneliness,” Stanton said.

Many other teenagers feel the exact same way, which could be a reason that 73.5% of students at SHS have felt the urge to take a break from social media. The lives of teenagers are very stressful due to trying to balance everything from school, sports, jobs to family life and friends. 

While in the midst of a current pandemic, Lurie explains how social media can be beneficial to students and teenagers.

“Social media can be a very positive platform, especially during this time of COVID-19 and social distancing – it can provide a means for connections. It can be a place for self-expression and support.”

Many students in the comment section of the recent survey on mental health have taken this perspective on it as well. 

“Social media can also be used to boost self-esteem, express yourself, relieve stress and communicate with friends. You just need to listen to your mind and body and take breaks when needed!”

Social media can help keep you up to date with friends and family as well as give you positive feelings when you see a large group of internet strangers come together on a large issue such as body image, current movements such as Black Lives Matter, etc. 

Regardless of the most popular view on social media, it could be more positive or more negative. The stress related to social media is surrounded by anxiety, depression, and just overall feelings of sadness due to comparing lives with social media posts that are “perfect.” 

Stanton gives one final thought about social media and teens.

“For most social media is the first thing teens look at when they wake up in the morning and the last thing they look at before they go to bed at night. For teenagers social media has become one of the highest, if not the highest, distractions in our day to day lives and something our minds have become custom to constantly thinking or worrying about.”