Winter Break during COVID-19

A Solon student looking at potential tickets for winter break for their family

Jaclyn Rzepka, Contributing Writer

Winter is full of cold weather, family vacations and memories. Winter vacation spans two weeks at Solon High School (SHS) and begins on Dec. 21, 2020. 

Many SHS students travel annually during winter break. Due to COVID-19, many students and their families are questioning whether or not they want to go on a vacation. Junior Allie Maersch has gone on numerous family vacations in the past, but will not be going anywhere this year because of COVID-19.

“Sadly, my family and I are not going anywhere this year for winter break,” Maersch said. “In the past we always went somewhere, so this year will feel very different. I have two twin baby sisters, and my family doesn’t feel it is safe for them to travel especially when they hate wearing their masks.”

Similar to Maersch, other SHS students made plans for winter break but had to cancel them due to COVID-19. Senior Kate Dillon and her family had a vacation to Ireland planned to visit family, but can’t go anymore due to the pandemic.

“I’m pretty sad we can’t go this year,” Dillon said. “Especially because I usually see them at least once a year, but now I don’t know when I will see them next. I just hope we get to visit them once COVID-19 dies down.” 

While some SHS students are staying home for winter break because of the pandemic, some are taking it as a new opportunity to travel and explore. Junior Avani Pham and her family are planning a vacation to Colorado and are trying to find flights to travel.

“This year in particular has been extremely challenging to find tickets for all six members of my family,” Pham said. “Tickets are extremely pricey, and it’s really hard trying to keep my siblings next to my parents when the middle seats are not being used. Covid numbers aren’t high in Colorado, so my family and I feel comfortable traveling.”

2020 has been full of unprecedented history. COVID-19 has affected millions of people and will continue to do so until a vaccine is approved and used. Corporations and people are adapting and trying to live life like it was before COVID-19. Different families and students and Solon are either staying home with family or living life to the fullest.