Solon girls tennis bounces back after a lackluster start to their season

Solon girls tennis team. Photo Courtesy of @solon_girls_tennis on Instagram.

The Solon girls tennis team started the 2023 season with a winless record through three games, but managed to corral their season and have brought it back to a winning record at 5 – 4. The team moved conferences this year, transferring from the GCC to the Suburban League, and lost a good chunk of seniors from last year. Below, Sydney Roseman gives her input on the start of the season.

Q: After starting the season 0 – 3, you’ve improved your record to a 5 – 4, what can you attribute the success to?

A: I think everybody on the team has gotten into a better mental attitude, and we’ve gotten back to our original brand of tennis. Also, our opponents haven’t been as tough, but it’s mainly due to our better mental attitudes.

Q: Why do you believe the team started out so poorly this year?

A: We lost five seniors, so we’re basically starting all over. We’re still figuring out singles positioning and doubles pairs. We’re simply just trying new things this year.

Q: In your game against Wooster on Sept. 7, how did the team accomplish the amount they did considering the position you started the season in?

A: We had success because of our determination to win and our team spirit. It was going to be a tough match, and because it was a conference competition we had extra incentive to win. It came down to the final match because both teams had won 2 courts each, so both JV and varsity squads sat and cheered us on, which I believe helped lead us to victory,

Q: The girls tennis team has won the GCC for five years in a row to this point, but you’ve joined a new conference this year. Do you think you’ll be able to continue your success in the new conference?

A: No, I don’t think the team will win overall, but I believe certain girls definitely have a good shot at competing in districts and possibly states.

Q: Who do you believe to be the toughest opponent you’ll face this year?

A: Hathaway Brown and Hoban should both be tough because they’re both private schools. I think they play year round, and they have better chemistry than we do because of that.

Q: On the other hand, who do you think will be an easy win for the team?

A: Westlake…because although [this team is] probably competitive, we’ve beaten them in the past pretty easily.

Having won two games in a row against Twinsburg and Wooster, the Solon varsity girls tennis team looks to add to their streak today against Brecksville. They also play Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week against Western Reserve Academy, Wadsworth and Avon.

Hannah Park also gave her thoughts about the start of the season and the team’s sudden success in the video below.