The student news site of Solon High School

The SHS Courier

The SHS Courier

The SHS Courier

Join the Courier Mailing List
Get the latest updates delivered directly to your inbox.
We respect your privacy.

SHS Girls Varsity Bowling 2023-24 season comes to an end

Pictured left to right: Kennedy Prelog, Katie Westrich, Danica Wood, Evie Prelog, Zukhra Shopulatova, Marina Catalano and Ella Giallanza

The SHS girls’ varsity bowling team attended the Suburban League Pre-Season Tournament at Roseland Lanes in Oakwood on Nov. 17, 2023 to start their 2023-24 season. Unlike last year, the 2023-24 girls’ bowling organization only had a varsity team this year.

The roster includes Marina Catalano, Ella Giallanza, Evie Prelog, Zukrua Shopulatova, Katie Westrich, Danica Wood and Kennedy Prelog.

SHS senior and four-year varsity bowler Evie Prelog said the team had major improvements from last season.

“This season, we did not win most of our matches, but we definitely won against ourselves,” said Prelog. “Each game, everyone played as a team, cheering each other on, and I think this was one of our best seasons so far.”

SHS senior and three-year varsity bowler Zukhra Shopulatova achieved her highest score of 199 this year.

“I think everyone gave effort to advance the team,” said Shopulatova. “I am really proud of us, and I am glad that we really had a special connection with each other.”

The team was senior-heavy, meaning a lot of players played their last season this year.

“Hopefully there are enough people to make a team next year– we are really worried about that,” said Shopulatova.

SHS sophomore and two-year varsity bowler Kennedy Prelog is one of two players returning to the bowling team next year. Kennedy Prelog was the youngest player on the team this year and claims to have learned a lot.

“When I’m bowling, I just have to remember to take my time and not just throw the ball down the lane,” said Kennedy Prelog.

Overall, the team finished with a 6-11 record this season.