From Starlettes to Dance Team

Photo of Dance Team at Strongsville. Photo Courtesy of from Andie Simmons.

Anytime that it’s half-time, the student section sits down and it’s time to watch the band. Alongside the band is the Solon High School Dance Team performing during half-time.

Formerly known as the Starlettes, the Dance Team was a girl-dominated team most years. This year they welcomed two boys, sophomore dancer Jordan Novak and junior dancer Kamron Pratt.They also formerly only performed at football games–hence the name Starlettes, a play on majorettes. But this year, the team will also perform at the boys and girls basketball games and compete against other school’s dance teams. They will do a mix of different dances such as, flag, hip hop, jazz and majorette.

The Dance Team coach Andie Simmons believes that this name change isn’t only a name change, but also a new beginning.

“The name switch is promoting change and unity and moving forward,” Simmons said.

Senior dancer Safari Wallace didn’t like the new name, but now it is growing on her. She feels it also represents a new era for the Dance Team.

With this change, Simmons is hoping that the new name will show all dancers that they are welcome and this is a co-ed team.

“I think that changing the name will allow those [male] dancers to see that we are not just a majorette dance team,” Simmons said. “We are a full fledged dance team.”

Dancer and co-captain Kamron Pratt can attest to this. He feels the name change is more unisex and inclusive.

Pratt also feels that he has beneficial opportunities being a boy on this team, such as new dances.

“I lift the other girls, and I feel like it’s a good experience,” Pratt said. “So the fact that we have two men that can lift adds new things.”

Simmons also thinks that having boys on the team brings new possibilities.

“They [the boys] bring an atmosphere and a level of dance that is just off the radar,” Simmons said. “But it also allows me to play around with more partner things [dances].”

Photo of Dance Team at Nordonia. Photo courtesy of Andie Simmons.

Wallace also feels that having the boys adds talent and personality to the team.

“They [the boys] come not thinking of it as a girls’ team, they come being themselves,” Wallace said. “They still contribute so much to the dance.”

The Dance Team has added an entertaining element to all football games and now basketball games. Simmons thinks the atmosphere of the team is a family feeling.

“They have positive attitudes, they support each other,” Simmons said. “That level of team work is amazing.”