Solon one of many school districts with a shortage of bus drivers

Busses outside of the SHS Pool Pad.
Busses outside of the SHS Pool Pad.

Solon, like most school districts around the country, is experiencing the effects of the bussing shortage.

Students have noticed there are more last-minute announcements at the end of the day– there are numerous bus changes that students have to stay tuned for just in case their bus is one of the many said.

SHS student Savanna Toshay said she has experienced late pick-up and drop-off this year.

“I am not getting home on time, and it is kind of an inconvenience to me because I have a job,” Toshay said. “Since I do have a job and I’m not getting home until later, and I need to get to work at a [certain] time, it has thrown that off for me.”

Lisa Shirkey Transportation Supervisor recognizes the challenges with bussing this year, but Solon is not the only district that experiences these difficulties.

“Managing routes is challenging because there is one route that doesn’t have a permanent driver,” Shirkey said. “To combat the shortage of drivers, we are moving people around so that they can cover certain routes to ensure all of our students are picked up.”

There has been a shortage of drivers since before COVID said Shirkey–bus drivers are only guaranteed a four-and-a-half hour work day.

“Not having eight hour shifts doesn’t qualify drivers for certain needs such as insurance and their many other needs,” Shirkey said. “Hours also play a part in the shortage because most want a job that can guarantee their needs can be met.”

The question everyone seems to be asking is will there be enough drivers. How much longer will this shortage last?

“I would want there to be an end in sight, but we cannot guarantee it,” Shirkey said. “We have more people retiring than we can hire.”

According to Shirkey, one of the many reasons Solon is experiencing the shortage is due to older generations retiring.

“The Baby Boomer generation is very large, and they are retiring, so it is getting harder to find people to replace them,” Shirkey said.

Many students, such as Kathryn Lee, have noticed changes in their bus drivers this year.

“This year I got a new bus driver– my bus driver last year was an older man, but this year he was replaced with a younger looking woman.”

Finding potential drivers can be troublesome for Solon since the vetting process is vigorous, and the qualifications needed are only sometimes met.

“It can take up to one and a half to three months which is a long process,” Shirkey said. “Candidates go through a background check, drug and alcohol screening, physical to ensure they can drive a bus, along with a clean driving record.”

Still, students are sometimes frustrated by the wait times.

“In the morning sometimes pickup is late and there is no warning, no one says they are going to be between 5-10 minutes late,” Toshay said. “You are just waiting outside whether it is hot, cold, or raining. You are just standing out there.”