The SHS cheerleaders are now cheering for the girls basketball team

Cheerleaders performing for the Girls Basketball team for the first time on Dec. 9. Photo taken by Sasha Zahler.

When I first heard that the SHS Cheerleading team would be cheering for both the girl’s and boy’s basketball teams this year, my first thought was why?

Well, why not?

In our society, the concept of cheerleaders cheering for a male team has always been easy to grasp. So much so that it has become expected. But it seems that with a female team, the concept of having a cheerleading squad becomes an anomaly, a deviation from normalcy.

According to the Women’s National Basketball Association, women’s basketball became a sport in 1892, only one year after men’s basketball was created. In SHS, the girl’s basketball team have been conference champions in both 2022 and 2023, even reigning undefeated from 2014 to 2020. With such an impressive record, it’s confounding that in previous years they haven’t had the cheerleader’s support.

If women’s basketball was established just a year after men’s basketball was, why shouldn’t they enjoy the same privileges and benefits as the men?

Girls Basketball Photo from the Solon Schools website.

Since the enactment of Title 9, schools have been trying to correct this discrepancy. As the Department of Education says, “Title IX prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance.”

But, why did so many schools need a federal law to finally provide equal opportunity to female athletes?

It seems as though, from the beginning of modern-day, women have always been in a supporting role to men. From the cult of domesticity to cheerleaders and dancers being almost commonplace in men’s sporting events. Although we have come a long way in terms of feminism and women’s rights, it’s clear that there are still so many things that need to change in order to truly bring equality, including people’s perceptions.

When the Solon cheerleaders were first announced to be cheering for both teams, many found the change odd, even unnecessary. The girls’ basketball team seems to have always been brushed aside, despite all their achievements. With Title 9, hopefully, this will change.

Kaelyn Gaymon, a member of the girl’s basketball team, is happy with the new editions to the games.

“I think it’ll give more school spirit, and we can finally give some more focus to the women in the sport,” Gaymon said. “More equality.”

Along with equality, there comes another benefit of Title 9. Women being able to support other women.

December 9 was the first girl’s game that included the cheerleaders. Mackenzie Blackford, initially wary about having the cheerleaders there, said she enjoyed the outcome of the extra support.

“They brought us a lot of energy because we don’t really get a lot of fans sometimes which is unfair, but they brought so much energy and noise, so it was a lot of fun,” Blackford said.

So go out and support the girl’s basketball team and cheerleaders. They deserve to be recognized for all their achievements just like the boy’s basketball team is. Show the school, and those who enacted Title 9 that equality is always the right decision. No matter who they are, everyone benefits from the support of the community around them.